What Spokeshave should I get?
Hello all, I am going to be building a couple of Cigar Box guitars. I have several ways to shape the neck, both power and hand, but it seems the most common is using a Spokeshave. I guess the real question at hand is which one do I want? New, or Vintage? Flat or Round or Both? Can't go wrong with Veritas but probably can get a vintage for less. Does anyone here have a
favorite for this type of work?
Thanks and Happy New Year!
Both would be nice, but if the budget only allows one it would have to be a curved sole to shape the heal and blend into the peg head. New you could have it in a couple of days, vintage would take a bit longer to find but they are plentiful. I'd look at the small ones that LN sells they are a good size for neck carving. I like mine, they have a nice tight throat.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
My favorite all around spokeshave is the vintage Stanley #53..The adjustable mouth makes it very versatile...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I have a 53 that a previous owner put a radius on the sole. Did a nice job too.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
Yep...the narrow "lip" lends itself to that very nicely... The 53 is the first one I reach for...I also like the low-angle boxwood spokes...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Fisherman said:

Hello all, I am going to be building a couple of Cigar Box guitars. I have several ways to shape the neck, both power and hand, but it seems the most common is using a Spokeshave. I guess the real question at hand is which one do I want? New, or Vintage? Flat or Round or Both? Can't go wrong with Veritas but probably can get a vintage for less. Does anyone here have a
favorite for this type of work?
Thanks and Happy New Year!

I will muddy the waters here. It is important to keep in mind that I have not built a guitar neck, however, should I do so, I might decide that the tight curves are more easily worked with a rasp.

The neck length, per se (I do not know the names of the parts), could be shaped with a convex or straight spokeshave and scrapers. A cheap Stanley #51 (more easily found than a #53, which is excellent) with its wide mouth, would waste out the shape rapidly.

There are a variety of scrapers that come to mind. A favourite is my shopmade version of the StewMac thick scrapers (Google for those). I used 1/8" and 3/16" thick old plane blades. These are amazing. Thick scrapers are excellent for shaping. Thin scrapers are helpful for finishing and easily shaped to go where you want.

Rasps range from the cheaper Dragon to the expensive (but excellent) Auriou. There are also excellent Japanese rasps at Lee Valley. A coarse rasp removes waste fast. A medium would clean up, and a scraper would finish. You may have metal files already, and these may be used as well.

Regards from London

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Okay, so one of each and throw in a couple Rasps just to keep it interesting. I think I will post in S&S to see if anyone needs to make room in their shop. I have a few things to keep me busy till I find something. From what I have researched, you are right about the rasps Derek. As usual there are many ways to work through this. Thanks to all.
I vaguely recall reading the book "Making Clapton's Guitar". Besides power tools, I remember the guy said his favorite part of the job was using a pocket-knife to shape the heel of the guitar-neck. This would have been on friendly mahogany wood.
Chris
Your first spokeshave should, generally, be a flat-soled shave if you're getting a metal shave. Round sole shaves (front to back) take some experience to use skillfully, and concave shaves (across the width) are limited in their use.

I like the Stanley 51/52 (I prefer the 52 - straight handles, instead of the gull wings of 51). One of those and a good rasp should get the work done. Consider a card scraper, too (cheap) for smoothing the rasp work, although that's got a learning curve all its own, so, first time out, you might be better with sandpaper in progressive grits.

These are cigar box instruments, right? Don't go nuts on spending $1,000 on tools for them.
You got that right Bill, it's about the build not the tools. Pretty much have what I need. Good excuse to refine my skills though . Should be a fun Project! Thanks for your input.