What woodworking tool/gadget were you skeptical of at first, but
Changed the game for you? Or you use on every project?

I look at a lot of woodpeckers stuff for example, but it seems to be mostly timesavers or overly fancy. I used to think the same about festool until i operated a rotex for a few hours.
My Day Job
well, bye.
For me it was a drum sander (yours). I bought it from a fellow second hand but unused and was trying to help him out more than anything. Had no idea what I would do with it only to find out how useful it was. Every project had wood going across it. Eventually I put a spiral head on my planer and then discovered hand planes to clean things up...the DS got used a whole lot less so I let it go to make some room in the shop. Speaking of hand planes, as a non-hand-tool-guy I was skeptical of using them, until I bought some well tuned ones here at S&S and discovered the slippery slope.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Router - M&T jig for loose tenons. Replaced the floor morticer.
A good move for me.

A toothed iron in my #62 plane to replace the power jointer.
Time will tell, but so far, so good.

Ag
The tool I always made fun of was the oscillating multi tool. Fein was the first and they had to sell it on tv infomercials and other tv shopping channels. Well most stuff sold on tv or worse the as seen on tv stuff is usually junk.

Well once they became affordable to the masses I picked one up and started using it and stopped making fun of it. It has turned out to be a very handy tool in remodeling, cabinet installs, flooring, cutting in electrical boxes and often handy in woodworking too.
Saddle squares opened my eyes to new tools. Marking gauges kept it going.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Premium sandpaper is new to me. Why spend $$ on something that just gets tossed after a few minutes? Now I see know how long a sheet lasts, and that it doesnt plug up, I highly reccommend it.
Also the Stanley #80 scraper. Putting a hook on the blade makes it into a wonderful surfacer.
A lot of years ago, there was no Norm to tell you about this or that. Certainly no online forums. A new to me gizmo was there for my inspection. They called it a Router, and it was loud. My first attempt to use one, well I kinda went before the guy showing it to me had a chance to................All I can say is going into a freehand climb cut full depth into an edge of 6/4 Oak could be one of the things where a grown Man could be excused for soiling himself. I didn't, and to this day I'm not sure why. It was several years later before I had one in my hands again. At that time I said......O I C it runs like this

Since then I have really inspected things before $$$$$ was spent. Currently the 2 are some form of slot mortiser, horizontal router, blah blah blah machine, and a CNC. On both counts I don't feel I have seen enough hands on with either, and having bought a lot of this stuff, manufacturers lie. Maybe that is too strong, they only show the sunny side of anything, and gloss past weaknesses, and tedious set up. In terms of learning I like video, it can be very illuminating. It's weakness is it's hard to ask it a question, as you are seeing it. Face to face is, and always will be the best way to see tools demonstrated.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Robert Adams said:

The tool I always made fun of was the oscillating multi tool. Fein was the first and they had to sell it on tv infomercials and other tv shopping channels. Well most stuff sold on tv or worse the as seen on tv stuff is usually junk.

Well once they became affordable to the masses I picked one up and started using it and stopped making fun of it. It has turned out to be a very handy tool in remodeling, cabinet installs, flooring, cutting in electrical boxes and often handy in woodworking too.

+1 From trim work, to tile removal, to sanding....don't know how I did any DIY without it.
Gary

Living under the radar, heading for "off the grid."

Knew Concepts fret and coping saw.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
Axehandle said:

Knew Concepts fret and coping saw.

Did you buy after trying them, or just order online?
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW