How Rob Cosman Backsaws are Made: Video
Very interesting video showing how Rob Cosman manufactures his backsaws:

Rob Cosman Backsaw Production Video
Cool process. I used the dovetail saw at Woodcraft once and I like it.

Count me as one who did not know they were made in house.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
I was surprised to see how much investment they had made in production equipment. They must be selling a large quantity of saws. There certainly is very little mention of them on the internet forums, but I realize that forums have a group bias. Cosman probably sells many saws to the attendees of his Woodcraft classes and there are at least 70 of those.; so he very well may spend almost every weekend teaching there. Good for him. He works hard and does his own thing.
Good behind-the-scenes look. Very dusty environment with the use of the air gun here and there.

I've never met this skilled artisan but have used his saws on various occasions; they do what they are supposed to do. Some think the prices are steep, but this video shows the reason behind it -- all labor work to ensure the quality, a lot due to the silent hero, Dave.

The mentioned bias will persist but life goes on as far as Rob Cosman and everyone else are concerned. His business is doing well and one can't but admire his passion in woodworking education. Of course, he has a family to feed and we can't expect him to keep a low profile on marketing his products whenever he can as he did at the end of this vid.

Simon
Thanks for posting the video.

Very enlightening. Running a one/two man business is very difficult to do on a permanent basis. Something about the business is constantly on the owners mind seven days a week. He showed a lot of how he makes a saw, less the time to file in the teeth. There is so much more to the process, both for an individual saw and all the general administration. He probably spends at least 20% of his time on things that doesn't directly pertain to making saws. I like how he has productionized the process with the clever use of machinery. Lots of drill presses, each one setup for a particular operation. The time saved by doing it that way, more than pays for the machines.
Catchalater,
Marv

I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.”
― Maya Angelou

I'm working toward my PHD.  (Projects Half Done)
My compliments to Cosman for taking the time to make the video. I had hoped to do something similar, but time is always one step ahead.
BontzSawWorks.net
Am I the only one that doesn't like the idea of a plastic handle on a premium sae? I know he offers the plasticized wood ones but still. Not trying to poop on his product by any means or him.

That being said it was a very cool video and thanks for posting.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
I suspect there are a fair number of purists who would insist on a wood handle on their saw, but as Rob indicated, its the weight he is after, and the composite/solid surface material provides that. To paraphrase Rob: "what do you want to show off, the dovetail saw, or the dovetails?".
I find myself gravitating towards modern traditional tools. That being, traditional tools in use but not necessarily design and look.

Knew concepts fret saw
Veritas Saws and this saw
I still like the Bailey style planes best.

The Cosman dovetail saw does feel right in the hand. With all the weight in the handle the blade seems to float on a ribbon of air and makes starting kerfs nearly effortless. I really would only pay a used price for the saw though. It is pretty high but seems worth it after watching that video.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
As long as it cuts well -- and it does -- Rob's saw handle is of no concern to me. I have used Veritas saws and their splines are no concern to me either. He is right: what matters is the result...often we see the joint and not the tools that are used to cut it. It is a good thing that he and other makers use different materials/designs to produce saws or tools at different price points for people to choose.

Paul Sellers won't but should get into tool production, too, as some of his ideas are unique and he might be able to team up with some UK-based producers to make tools that are on the bargain level, suitable for those who can't afford the high-end products.

Simon