Replacing hose on sink: is there some special tool for this?
I need to replace the flexible hose going between the hot water valve and sink in a bathroom. Getting to the hose where it attaches to the sink is proving to be problematic. Specifically, once I put a box end or crescent wrench on the fitting there is not enough travel at the far end of the wrench between the wall and sink to allow me to rotate the fitting, letting alone get real torque on it.

Is there some special tool for this?
MAKE: Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out...  www.makezine.com

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

You mean one of these?

Basin Wrench
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
Either the basin wrench as mentioned or pull the faucet and install the upper end of the hoses. Depending on the room, the quicker solution is to pull the faucet.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
here's what i use, and i love it!

made by ridgid.
arthropod98 said:

made by ridgid.

This. I've never been successful without a lot of trouble with the basin wrench mentioned above. This orange thing makes life super simple. I got mine at the Borg.
link web page
Curlycherry said:

[blockquote]arthropod98 said:

made by ridgid.

This. I've never been successful without a lot of trouble with the basin wrench mentioned above. This orange thing makes life super simple. I got mine at the Borg.

[/blockquote]

I have the Rigid tool in addition to the basin wrench. Depending on the situation, one has worked where the other one was difficult. For me, both have their place. It really does depend on the design/size of the nut that needs to be loosened.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
jgourlay said:

I need to replace the flexible hose going between the hot water valve and sink in a bathroom. Getting to the hose where it attaches to the sink is proving to be problematic. Specifically, once I put a box end or crescent wrench on the fitting there is not enough travel at the far end of the wrench between the wall and sink to allow me to rotate the fitting, letting alone get real torque on it.

Is there some special tool for this?

I don't own a basin wrench. I do own the Ridgid tool and I have used it many times. When it doesn't work, there's always the Dremel. I am not above cutting everything off. It's getting replaced anyway.

If you intend to save it, disregard.
The faucets I currently have have snap on fittings.
Economics is much harder when you use real money.
GHR said:

The faucets I currently have have snap on fittings.

+1. The last set of faucets I bought have the snap on fittings. I don't think I'll buy anything else from here on as long as I have a choice.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")