Sealing/insulating around a wood stove insert
Hi all,
So the wife and I bought our house about 18 months ago, and I've been sloooowly picking away at the to-do list, since Jack was born a month later! Anyway, we have this wood burning insert in the fire place. I apologize for no picture, I'll snap one tonight. It's got a steel frame that overlaps the brick surround. I can feel a draft coming from around it, between the brick and steel. We don't burn anything in it right now, but I would like to down the road.

As a temporary thing, I wedged some of that "caulk saver" foam rope stuff into the gap. It definitely helps, but isn't great, and certainly not ideal if we want to burn wood in there.

I checked out the options at Home Depot for foam or caulk, and there are some fire blocker things, but I don't know if they're meant to be adjacent to a heat source like that all the time. I also don't want to block an air gap if it's meant to be there, although I suspect it's just not well sealed from the get-go. Can anyone recommend a specific product?
Thanks in advance!
Benny

Skip Home Depot. Go to a fireplace store. They will be able to help you out.

Twinn
Will post for food.
With ours I pulled the unit out enough to get insulation in between the surround and the brick. Don't use insulation with the paper backing. The insulation is not flammable, the paper is. That made a huge difference. I did not caulk it since the unit had to be slid out annually for chimney cleaning.
Thanks guys. I'll see if there' a fireplace place nearby
I'm a little scared to pull mine out, but that may be the answer eventually.
Benny

crokettâ„¢ said:

With ours I pulled the unit out enough to get insulation in between the surround and the brick. .

That's what I did as well, just pink fiberglass, packed tightly. There was a lot of air being sucked out of the house through that leak. After I sealed it I checked with a butane fire starter to confirm it was sealed. Wanted to use a cigar but was told that was unacceptable.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Kao wool or mineral/rock wool for insulation. And a block off plate to keep the heat from going up the chimney around the liner. The liner goes to the top of the chimney, right? Don't assume it does. People do unsafe installations all the time.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/insula...d_922.html
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

EatenByLimestone said:

Kao wool or mineral/rock wool for insulation. And a block off plate to keep the heat from going up the chimney around the liner. The liner goes to the top of the chimney, right? Don't assume it does. People do unsafe installations all the time.

We're going to have it inspected/cleaned before we burn anything in it. There's a big heavy door, I don't feel much of a draft around the door if I close the vents. Of course I forgot to take a pic last night...
Benny

EatenByLimestone said:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/insula...d_922.html

Hmmmmm We use ceramic wool here at work around some 1200C furnaces. I wonder if there's scraps
Benny

Do what EBLS recommended. You want ceramic fiber, NOT fiberglass. And you definitely want to have it inspected if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself, before you burn anything in it.

I'd prefer you use Fiberfrax products, because I used to work for the company that makes them, but even that lousy Kaowool will work.

John