Wiring a light from two separate switches?
I have a strange need on a new electrical installation and am evaluating potential options. New workshop in the backyard will have a series of floodlights on the outside. I'd like to control the lights from either of two switches as well as via a remote from the house.

I can find remote control switches that turn a standard switch into a "3-way", but nothing that works with real 3-way switches to add the remote without diving into the world of automation.

The goofy idea I want to test with ya'all is to wire the lights from two separate SPST, normal, American, regular switches. I'd run power from the same circuit to each switch and would take the hots from each switch and land them on the same terminal at the light. Basically creating two separate paths to power the light. One of those switches would then become the remote controlled path.

Electrically, this doesn't seem like a problem. I'm not sure if NFPA addresses such a set up; and I'm trying to think through all of the what-if scenarios to find a dnager or problem with this type of dual path set-up.
Shame on the men who can court exemption from present trouble and expense at the price of their own posterity's liberty! - Samuel Adams
This can be done (control lights from 3 locations) with two three way switches and one 4 way switch wired between them.
Howardly said:

This can be done (control lights from 3 locations) with two three way switches and one 4 way switch wired between them.

This^^^^^.
I'm guessing there is a single source of power to the workshop and adding a 4-way at the house won't work.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
I see no reason why it wouldn't work. Having one of the switches in the house works fine though running the wires from the shed to the house could be a PITA but the wiring itself is straight forward.
If I understand right, with your set up you will be able to turn the light on from either switch but you will only be able to turn the light off from the switch used to turn it on. If you turn the light on with the non remote switch you won't be able to turn it off with the remote.

It kind of defeats the purpose of the remote switch.

Twinn
Will post for food.
Howardly said:

I see no reason why it wouldn't work. Having one of the switches in the house works fine though running the wires from the shed to the house could be a PITA but the wiring itself is straight forward.

Assuming "workshop" is more than lights in a shed, and assuming the wiring to the shed is already in place, the OP is screwed. An "intelligent switch" of some kind, is required.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
theeviltwinn said:

If I understand right, with your set up you will be able to turn the light on from either switch but you will only be able to turn the light off from the switch used to turn it on. If you turn the light on with the non remote switch you won't be able to turn it off with the remote.

Twinn

This is exactly what I am dealing with.

The house and workshop are separated by enough distance and landscaping that running traveler wires to the house would be near impossible. At best it would cost me $7,000 to avoid buying a $19 transmitter.

The workshop is new construction and the walls are still exposed. I can run any wires inside that building that I need to. But I have very limited ability to run a circuit back into the house.

I am not worrying about turning the lights off. I recognize that energizing either branch requires using the same switch to shut things off. The remote control in the house would get used for 'bump in the night' situations or to illuminate the yard before walking out there. Extra steps to douse a light is no problem.
Shame on the men who can court exemption from present trouble and expense at the price of their own posterity's liberty! - Samuel Adams
Motion Light at the Shop.

It comes on - when it needs to come on (detecting motion) - and stays on for a programmed (set) length of time.

Just for fun, you can put one on the house pointed toward the Shop.
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
Mandrake said:

[blockquote]theeviltwinn said:

Twinn

This is exactly what I am dealing with.

The house and workshop are separated by enough distance and landscaping that running traveler wires to the house would be near impossible. At best it would cost me $7,000 to avoid buying a $19 transmitter.

The workshop is new construction and the walls are still exposed. I can run any wires inside that building that I need to. But I have very limited ability to run a circuit back into the house.

I am not worrying about turning the lights off. I recognize that energizing either branch requires using the same switch to shut things off. The remote control in the house would get used for 'bump in the night' situations or to illuminate the yard before walking out there. Extra steps to douse a light is no problem.

[/blockquote]

Is this building wired for a sub-panel or did you just put in one 120V circuit for lighting and minor tool use? I'm guessing just 1 120V circuit or this conversation wouldn't be happening. Why would re-running wiring cost so much? How far is the building from the house?

Regardless, I think you are stuck with some kind of intelligent switch. At long distance, probably something that sends signals over power lines like X10.