Slab top....Teaser
Looking great Don!

Frank
Frank
Nice work for sure, & nice wood too.
This may be my favorite one yet, Don. I'm not much of a fan of live edge tables, sorry. But putting the edges back in the field is a stroke of pure genius and should give a much more refined look as well as a huge - How'd he do that? All of the impact of live edge, maybe more, but less rustic. I like it already.

John
jteneyck said:

"a stroke of pure genius"
John

+1

Oh my!!!!!!!!
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
bennybmn said:

So did you cut the outside ones to fit around the center one? Or the opposite? Can't wait to see more!

Yes. The 2 on the outside were a full trunk cut. I removed the (what I'd now the inside) and planned on joining them as a bookmatch table top.
The center looked too plain, so, I bookmatched the initial drop and used the to replace the boring wood. I have one live edge to shaped outside done. Will work on her other side tomorrow.
Woodwork... It's what I do for a living.
(well, such as it may be, It's my job)
((cept my boss is a @#!*&))
I think I'm gonna fire myself for that
Wow, that's gonna be a stunner - I always look forward to your projects, lots of experience there and amazing work.

Jeff
Very original idea, can't wait to see the final table.
Do "they" tell you what they see, and you figure out how to get there, or do you just wake up with this in your head, and spring it on the next customer wanting something different?

Some awesome vision by someone. Looking forward to seeing this play out.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
That is going to be one big table. There is not a very high demand on the east coast for that style furniture. I find it amazing how different peoples taste in furniture styles differ from coast to coast. My guess is you would probably have a hard time giving away a lot of the pieces I build on the West coast.
Thanks all.

Most time I get a request for something. I ask for parameters for what they want.
Size, color, species (most don't know or care)
Style and design I get info from talking with them and taking notes.

This particular customer has a hall table and a mantel from me and basically said...
"We didn't design those so Do what you do"
It will fit an unusual shaped dining area.
Butt side is 6'ish and the length is 8'6"ish
I start with rough sketches and then if I don't have the specific wood, I start reaching out and shopping.

I did make a cardboard template of the rough size and shape and they got to see that. Along with a few "these slabs will be your table pics"
Otherwise, they haven't seen the progress.
*this can be very scary, but I feel is pushes me to make it WOWer.

I have another table right behind this one.
VERY different.
Rustic Black Oak poorly dried with big cracks.
4' wide by 12' long. (*was 42 wide, cust req change)

Industrial Chic design with beefy splayed legs, arched stretcher and a cable with turnbuckle.
The wood will finish a deep honey amber to black with concrete in the voids and triangular areas (see pic)
Concrete color to be determined. I'm thinking dark mottled grey. Base will be Darkened. I say it that way because I may use a torch for the darkening .
I feel they could easily handle a 16' in the space. GREAT ROOM with the kitchen at one side.

The top will be built as 2 pieces. Otherwise I feel it would be too heavy to move into place. As it is it will take 4 guys for each side.
This is sketch number 2. first one was pencil, this one sharpie for "being able to see"
Next one will be a bit more detailed and computer gen for Me and the Kid

Nice part about this job..... I have the wood.

Yes, my sketch pad is a calendar from Aura Hardwoods.
I have about a dozen of them. Will most likely pick up an entire box about the end of Feb.
The sales reps there asked why I wasted them.
"Dude, people get to see your calendars in my shop all the time. Not just one hanging in the office or the bathroom door"
12 page note pad. Works great.

Dave, I too would have trouble with some of my work on that side of the world.
Woodwork... It's what I do for a living.
(well, such as it may be, It's my job)
((cept my boss is a @#!*&))
I think I'm gonna fire myself for that