Veritas Scraping Plane
I have a Veritas Scraping Plane, that I must admit, I don't use all that much. I have read online the many uses for this plane, but wanted to poll to forum on how the members view this tool, and if anyone owns one, how has it performed and what types of wood do you use it on.

Scott
Have it. Love it. I use it for edge glued panels with wild figure, like quilted maple, to take down any unevenness at the glue line (when it's too much work for a card scraper) and to flatten and smooth. Same goes for shop-sawn veneer, for which this is a great too to remove bandsaw marks.

I have the thin blade, which I polished a bit and do draw a burr on. I also like a little camber, but not much. You do have to fiddle to get the depth right. A touch too deep, and it stutters and comes to a screeching halt. It's not overly difficult though.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Scott -

FWIW - I have one, and use it primarily for refinishing work - stripping old finishes, and surface prep.

I actually prefer pulling the plane towards me - right hand on the knob, left hand on the tote - controlling skew.

Generally use it on harder woods - maple, birch, some cherry, some oak.

Cheers -

Rob
I purchased a scraping plane insert from LV
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.as...&cat=1,310
which I used to convert an old No. 4 smoother to a scraping plane and it works quite well, however,
I believe that a cabinet scraper works just as well if not better, although the scaping plane is easier on the fingers!
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green

Hi Rob, I will try the pulling motion next time I use the plane. I want to tune it up, with a sharpen and burnish before using again. I did find the plane did work exceptionally well with hard woods and curly maple. As I've mentioned in prior posts, I do a lot of end grain cutting boards, so I am trying to either find an alternative to sanding to final smoothness, or a compromise between the two. I do have my sights set on a LV LA Jack once I can muster up the funds. In the meantime, I was wondering of the Scraping Plane could also provide similar results in planing end grain??

Thanks
Scott
Smoothjazz077 said:

Hi Rob, I will try the pulling motion next time I use the plane. I want to tune it up, with a sharpen and burnish before using again. I did find the plane did work exceptionally well with hard woods and curly maple. As I've mentioned in prior posts, I do a lot of end grain cutting boards, so I am trying to either find an alternative to sanding to final smoothness, or a compromise between the two. I do have my sights set on a LV LA Jack once I can muster up the funds. In the meantime, I was wondering of the Scraping Plane could also provide similar results in planing end grain??

Thanks
Scott

You can use a scraper on end-grain but it requires (for me) a finer burr than usual. I've not tried my Stanley 112 (no LV scraper planes, just too many vintage Stanley's, Sargents and one second hand LN112) on endgrain but I have used card scrapers and a #80. Wouldn't be my first choice.

Otherwise, I've had very good luck with scrapers and scraper planes on just about ANY other wood oriented long-grain.

You can by the way, run end-grain cutting boards through power planers. It is loud, potentially a blade/insert killer for the planer and you have to take precautions to prevent massive blow-out on the exit edge. I've done this and it does work. But you are risking damage to the machine (at the very least some dull blades) and if you stand in the wrong spot, some damage to you. Here's a video that illustrates both the "solutions" and the dangers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ2LSj4RhAs

If this makes you too nervous, then don't do it.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Smoothjazz077 said:

(Snip) In the meantime, I was wondering of the Scraping Plane could also provide similar results in planing end grain??

Thanks
Scott

Hi Scott -

Scraping end grain is a tough ask for a scraper plane - as a scraper plane is a high-angle plane, and end grain generally responds better to lower angles. Additionally - a scraper plane blade is not as thick nor as well supported as a regular plane blade - so that's a negative as well. It certainly can be done with a good sharp blade and a light cut, but my first choice would still be a LA plane.

Scraping end grain is a tough test of your tool, your sharpening skill, and your set-up....all in one!

Cheers -

Rob
Thanks Rob. I see your point, and makes perfect sense. Appreciate the feedback. Hopefully I will be ordering one of your LA Jack planes soon

Scott