Walnut and Maple Bookshelf

Been a long long time since I've posted on here. The main reason being I've been so busy with the magazine and running two businesses, not to mention riding all over the US, that I have not been in the woodshop for a long time, until recently. I had a need for some shelves to hold my personal books which were overflowing my office mixed in with books I am or had worked on. Money's been tight, so I checked my wood storage building for some usable leftovers. I had some tiger maple and some black walnut. There were flaws I had to work around and some minor flaws are still in the piece, but it will serve its intended purpose. Finish is sprayed on amber unwaxed shellac. Construction was simple as shown in the quick sketch.

Cheers,

Mike
"Try to reach the level where there is no competitor except excellence itself."
---James Krenov
Nice shelf Mike.
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous
Clean design, Mike. Like the maple/walnut combination. Are those joints glued, or left alone so you can break the case down?

Bob
"All that I do or say is all that I ever will be"

Billy Joe Shaver, Old Five and Dimers Like Me
That is the universal donor of shelves, could go with anything. Nice work.

Welcome back Mike. Are you still sitting on that Morris chair? It's still one of my favorite threads on here. I think because you went past the construction details, and included the fuming.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
RedBob said:

Clean design, Mike. Like the maple/walnut combination. Are those joints glued, or left alone so you can break the case down?

Bob

They are glued, but it was almost unnecessary. There were some knot holes and cracks in the walnut and I filled them with JB Weld Steel, then sanded those areas flush when they were dry.
---James Krenov
Very nice. You can't go wrong with curly maple and walnut. Ken
Mike,

It's really good to see you back. I hope you will have more time in the shop so we can enjoy more of your work. You have been missed. Nice job on the book shelves.

Hank
Nice bookshelf and nice to see you posting again.

I still have your euro hinge template somewhere if you need it.
I like it! I made something similar but much bigger years back. I left the joints unglued which had been nice for the few moves we've done.

I can't keep my eyes off the glue squeeze out though. I've had glue showup numerous times as son as the finish is applied, every time I kick myself for not wiping with DNA to check.
cvillewood said:

I can't keep my eyes off the glue squeeze out though. I've had glue showup numerous times as son as the finish is applied, every time I kick myself for not wiping with DNA to check.

Yeah, I know. But for this project I just wanted to get something made quickly to solve a problem of storage. Wasn't too concerned about perfection. I did wipe those joints, though, and really had very little squeeze out, but when I shot the shellac there were those light areas.

Thanks ALL for the welcome back. Been a long time and I have been wanting to get back out and work in the shop. So much of what I do is hard to really see results, and woodworking is nice because I start with an idea and have something solid after I am done.

Hope to do more; in the meantime I am working on my second book (bike journey to Quebec). Been so busy it is hard to find time to work in the shop. I've put three books out in the last three months. Got a painting started that I haven't been able to get back to for two weeks. And right now I have to bail and get on a board meeting conference call and tomorrow another magazine issue goes to press. I miss all the good times I had online here and with ya'll at the get togethers. Who knows, maybe we can do another wood hoe-down one of these days soon.

Cheers,

Mike
---James Krenov