noise from GFCI outlet
We did a minor remodel in our bathroom last year. Electrical work involved:
*New Vanity fixture - same wiring with box added ((yeah...the old one was just screwed into the wall with drywall anchors and loose wires in the wall cavity.)
*Replace vent fan/light (I will start another post about that...)
*Replaced recessed over shower can light trim/bulb with dimable LED - moist location rated.
*Added LED-rated dimmer switch
*Replaced almond colored switches and GFCI plug / covers with white

All of that runs through the GFCI. I thought about separating the lights and just bypassing the GFCI, but with the light in the shower, I figured it best to keep it under that protection.

I assume most of that is irrelevant, but figured I'd try to include it all in case there is a hint there somewhere.

Now the outlet will make a quiet noise. trying to think how to describe it...almost like a tiny motor? Not quite what I'd call a "buzz", but maybe? If I push the "Test" the "Reset" buttons it stops....for a while. Has been starting up within a day. Usually very quiet - like can only hear it when in the bathroom at night when all other noises are gone. Sometimes it is a little louder.

What is causing this???

My top 3 theories (keeping in mind I am pretty good with trees...and I can tell the difference between a white and black wire):
1) LED
2) Dimmer (Yea...kinda the same, but would a non-LED dimmer do the same - or a non-dimmed LED???)
3) Bad GFCI outlet

How bad of an idea would it be to just bypass the GFCI with the lights to see if it is one of the first 2? (wouldn't tell me which...or even if it was one of those vs. something else).

Thanks!
I swapped one out Saturday for that type thing. They go bad so if I were you I would start there and see what you get
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Bad gfci. The hold in transformer is going. It will get louder as it gets worse and often plugging something in and wiggling it will change the sound or make it go away if you hit it right but it will just get worse.

Have had lots of bad ones brand new out of the box from one particular brand that only the supply houses carry cause they are cheaper. I see more junk materials at supply houses than at the borgs now. I have a couple to dissect and see what fried in them.
I may do that. Don't need to spend $15 if it is being caused by something else in the circuit - but obviously it would be nice if all little annoyances only cost $15! It was only a couple months old when I first noticed it, so rather than "going bad", that would indicate it was bad out of the box...
If you are powering things through along with hair dryers and the like you need to make sure you get a quality unit. I am using these in my kitchen although I have them hidden inside a cabinet to keep the plugs above the counter looking normal

Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Interesting unit. I know they have GFCI breakers that go in the panel too...right? Are these 'better' than those? I am not sure I understand the point as I thought the idea of a GFCI plug was it trips right at the point of fault rather than having to wait that extra mili-second to trip at the panel.
Bob10 said:

....make sure you get a quality unit.....

Brand or model suggestions? Or do I just buy the $23 unit instead of the $12 one at Lowe's/Menard's?
I buy mine at supply houses and when at HD I buy the one marked preferred. I haven't had many go bad since I started making sure to get the ones marked that way. In my case I have more gfci's than most here and is important to me to cut down the number of repeated problems. In my rentals I isolate each one so if it trips the tenant is looking at the problem device instead of calling me asking where the problem might be

Phil Thien

JosephP said:

Interesting unit. I know they have GFCI breakers that go in the panel too...right? Are these 'better' than those? I am not sure I understand the point as I thought the idea of a GFCI plug was it trips right at the point of fault rather than having to wait that extra mili-second to trip at the panel.

I have two arcfault breakers in my panel, similar to gfci, but must be used on the bedroom circuits around here, it is code.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I have installed 2 of those arc faults plugged in my slider hit the switch while I was trimming out the bedroom and burned them both up. First one I thought was a defective unit and went back to the borg second was replaced by the manufacturer and I installed a regular breaker until I finished the project

Phil Thien