For you guys who like to process your lumber from tree to project
https://littlerock.craigslist.org/mat/5400540255.html
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK
Remarkable! Ought to post this in the basement. You'd probably get more interesting replies. It is woodworking though - I guess. I think I'd charge him almost that much to take it down.
Why post it in the basement? There's money to be had. Take a look at what one man can do with a chainsaw, a ladder, and a little ingenuity:

$30 grand is high, but even to a logger who rips nothing, that tree is likely worth over $2 grand to the sawmill and another $1 grand to a firewood dealer.
Rip to width. Plane to thickness. Cut to length. Join.
All I see there is a tree that needs to be removed and is good only for firewood, unless maybe there is buried treasure in it.

John
John, have you ever done any logging for a hardwood sawmill? Just curious.

Quote:

$30 grand is high, but even to a logger who rips nothing, that tree is likely worth over $2 grand to the sawmill and another $1 grand to a firewood dealer.

Yeah, but you will need to hire an arborist and crane to get it down, and that will cost you maybe $5,000?

No regular sawmill will want the log, too big, too ugly and probably full of metal.

Sorry but even asking money for the tree is straight out dreaming.
jteneyck said:

All I see there is a tree that needs to be removed and is good only for firewood, unless maybe there is buried treasure in it.

John

I'm sure there is "treasure". 100 years worth of assorted metal hardware.
I good logger could easily drop that oak tree without a crane, especially if he had a climber on board his crew or he was a climber himself. Piece of cake.
Where I live a residential tree has zero value to a sawmill; they won't even look at a perfect specimen much less that thing. Dead at the bottom, all kinds of leads coming out of it means it's probably full of knots, what looks like a bird house and something else up high suggests there's metal in it. I mill my own lumber, but even to me that tree is worth nothing more than firewood and I never pay for that. My enthusiasm for milling anything I could get for free quickly disappeared when I hit nails and found logs rotten in the center or full of knots. I look at trees a lot more critically now before getting too excited. There are enough good ones that still come my way, for free, that I have plenty of nice clear lumber to work with.

John
The last (and probably final, i'll never do it again) time I milled lumber was an offer that was too good to refuse. The guy had walnuts in a woods he was clearing. So he brought them out after I felled them, loaded them on his truck, took them to his barn/shop and stored them for a few months. Then in the winter I hired a bandsaw mill to process them and he stored them stickered in his barn for 2 years for me. That was a good deal for me. He did all the work, and I got the lumber. He wanted to see the whole process so and he did not want to see the trees get wasted. I also made about 1/2 the furniture in his house which I cut him a deal on.