Cleaning table saw blades and router bits
I have a tendency to ignore cleaning saw blades and router bits. Naturally, the blades and bits build up pitch and get dull. I'm looking for an easy way to freshen my table saw blades and router bits. Rockler sells a kit for $28.00 that is easy to use and doesn't create a mess. I'm wondering what the folks here have come up with to complete the job efficiently without making a mess.
I use Franmar's soy gel cleaner. Spray on, let set for a few minutes and scrub with a toothbrush. Not no mess, but it is non-toxic and does not smell bad. I have a utility sink in my shop so I can contain the mess there, but in my previous shop I used a cheap plastic basin.

Just a note, your bits and blades are not getting dull, the pitch build up is causing them to cut like they are dull. Cleaning regularly not only keeps them cutting well and without burning, but it is MUCH easier to remove a little resin than a lot. With too much build up, it can require a few rounds of scrubbing and spraying.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Krud cleaner
Lots of different cleaners out there that will work.

I use Arm & Hammer Washing soda. We use it as a laundry booster so its a multi tanker. A scoop in some water, let the blades soak 30 min then simply wipe away the grime. I use a vegetable brush, and you really don't have to scrub hard at all.
I use trisodium phosphate (TSP) - about $4 a pound at Borg, mix small amount in water, soak for 10 minutes, shiny metal after wiping. A pound will clean 50 blades.

Spray on, let sit for a minute or two, tooth brush off, wipe dry.

I buy it a case at a time. Its amazing.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Simple Green.

simple
S.E. Alabama, formerly from Wisconsin.
"Awesome" an all purpose cleaner concentrate sold at Dollar General
I'll second Simple Green.
Dennis Puskar said:

I'll second Simple Green.

I'll 3rd it.

Straight, cut 1/3 with ammonia.

Ed