What I did Today
I know the value of a lift, I have one on my folding router table, and do like it.

The PC 890 is only there temporarily, they sent me a Triton plate and are sending along a Triton 3hp router. I used this same table and the Triton when doing demos at AWFS in Vegas last summer. The Triton seems nice, and can be adjusted from above the table like the 890 can.

The real surprise about the Triton was how quiet it is. Literally, there were times at AWFS when I forgot to turn it off because it was so quiet you could not hear it over the ambient noise of the show floor.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Interesting Jeremy. The top is MDF with laminate, but has stiffeners underneath. The fence is pretty nice, and I sell plans for making your own aluminum fence. It locks securely and easily, it also has a micro adjust.

I video-taped the build, so in time I will post a video showing the process.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
I did not really need another router table, I already owned two, but Kreg kept asking me why I did not have more of their stuff in my videos. I told them that if they wanted to send me a set up, I would be happy to have it appear in my work.

I am currently shooting video for myself, Freud, Bessey, McroJig, and others, so Kreg obviously felt I was getting enough exposure to make it worth their while.

Now I need to figure out what to do with my shop-built big router table. Anyone in the Southwest Florida area who needs a full sized flip-top router table with Freud FT3000? Reasonably priced, you pick up!

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
I have the table top version with lift and Triton router. I like the router, table, and plate but hate the fence. I built an MDF router table once where I used a piece of MDF and clamps as the fence and it worked better. Took a second to set up right though.

I hate the fence because the camlocks don't lock well enough and allow the fence to pivot and you lose your 90. Over time the fence will slide over too. Very gradually so you don't notice at first but it is already too late by then anyway.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
This one does not use cam locks. The left side has a locking mechanism like a TS rip fence, and the right side has a lock that runs through the top.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Lets just say i think Kreg should stick to what they do best...pocket holes. Although they are always trying to make things better, i have seen some of their things take a dive in quality. Reenginered and new does not always mean better. Their flipstops used to be good now they are imo junk...too much play. Luckily i scored some old ones so i am set. I use my stuff everyday and if it does not pass my test it goes away. Most store bought router tables are cheesy imo. Some time and material and you can build a much better one yourself but it doesnt matter anyway as i see you are just gloating that companies give you free stuff. I took a big loss money wise just to get rid of that router table.

I have built DOZENS of router tables over the years, most of which are still being used in commercial shops. There are two I built in my shop currently. One is a flip top with a shop-built sliding table like a shaper, the other is a full sized unit (32x18) that folds flat for storage/transport. You can see both in use in the videos on my site.

As for gloating, we all do that here when we can, guilty as charged. On the other hand, I often get doubles or extras of things and try to pass those along to other woodworkers who are not as fortunate as I when I am able.

I AM interested in your observations. They give me insight on what to keep an eye on while using this unit, and reporting on it on my website. I would love to know what your flip stop looked like, because I am pleased with the one I got. It assembled easily and has no play in it. It used bushings in the extrusion that everything pivots on.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
handi said:

I have built DOZENS of router tables over the years, most of which are still being used in commercial shops. There are two I built in my shop currently. One is a flip top with a shop-built sliding table like a shaper, the other is a full sized unit (32x18) that folds flat for storage/transport. You can see both in use in the videos on my site.

As for gloating, we all do that here when we can, guilty as charged. On the other hand, I often get doubles or extras of things and try to pass those along to other woodworkers who are not as fortunate as I when I am able.

I AM interested in your observations. They give me insight on what to keep an eye on while using this unit, and reporting on it on my website. I would love to know what your flip stop looked like, because I am pleased with the one I got. It assembled easily and has no play in it. It used bushings in the extrusion that everything pivots on.

Ralph

<points up> Very classy response. Good on ya.
Ralph I like your body of work, you seem like a nice guy. But I have deep reservations about a guy who writes about any tool, who excepts freebies. I personally have never "purchased" a Kreg product I was unhappy with, and use several of their tools on a regular basis, and have been vocal about them here. I can see serious credibility problems if you do the same. It was the undoing of Al Navas, and I liked him too. DeCristophoro ?s/p same thing.

If you do battery run drill driver reviews, and all of the companies who make one send you one to "evaluate" and after "evaluating they tell you to give them away (acceptable) or return them (more acceptable) and you don't end up with a free drill driver I will read that review and accept what you say as just that a review. You end up with a free tool, or worse yet a gob of cash and you have become "wood magazine" where right next to every winning tool is at least a half page add they have taken out in your dirty rag. I just find that to be paid advertising, and not really honest paid advertising.

I know for a fact I am not the only person here who looks at this like I do. I'd say tread carefully.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Steve,

I appreciate the perspective. Just for the record, I do reviews on both "freebies" and things I buy. I try to be clear in my reviews which are which, and I did this BEFORE the law was passed telling me I had to.

I would LOVE to get 5-6 different battery drills in and do a review like you see in the magazines, but that is VERY difficult for an independent blogger to accomplish. It is a lot of work even for the magazines.

Interestingly, this largely all started with the magazines. When the Carvewright first came out, the shop I was working for bought one. I offered Woodcraft Magazine a review of it, which they accepted and was the very first review published in a Woodworking magazine as far as I know. Later, Woodcraft contacted me to ask if I wanted to do a review on the Worksharp. I had my eye one getting one anyway so I told them I would order one and do the review. They needed the review written within 2 weeks, so they had one sent to my house.

Now I get a lot of stuff from companies I work for. Rockler, Freud, Bessey and others all have me creating videos for them, so naturally they send me the products I will be working with in the videos. No conflict in this, because I am making marketing videos for their products.

Reviews are another matter, and I do try diligently to "tread carefully". This particular item, the router table, will not be the subject of a review at least for now. I WILL be putting out my own video of the assembly process, which is pretty neutral information, but also of interest and value to those looking at buying a router table.

I understand your feelings on this, and appreciate the opportunity to describe my position.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com