Is there still hope for Nicholson tapered saw files?
Hey All,

The last time I tried a Nicholson file made in Mexico, the package looked like this one.

The file performed so poorly that I swore I'd never buy another Nicholson again. The poor quality can not be blamed entirely on the move to Mexico either. I actually saw the decline start in the U.S.A. made files and carry over to the Mexico made ones.

Well I broke my own vow after reading the post here . I thought what the heck, it's only a few bucks for more disappointment.....

Well the new package looked like this:

Appears as though there's been some corporate shuffling going on at Cooper Tools as the old package reads - Cooper Hand Tools/1000 Lufkin Rd/Apex, NC 27539 on the back and the new one has Apex Tool Group, LLC/14600 York Road, Suite A/ Sparks,MD 21152. If you do a little googling there's better info out there than I've given.

Anyway here's a picture of the file right out of the box and it doesn't look too bad. The apex or corner is a little sharper than I was use to on a 6" slim taper, which concerned me a little at first.

Some of the other crappy files haven't looked that bad either...until you put them to work. That's when the true "crappiness" (is that a real word ) really did shine through!!

Well I tried the file out on a 26" 8ppi 1910 era G. H. Bishop No.8 saw, very similar to the Disston D8. As you can see, after jointing, there wasn't a whole lot of gullet left. The file didn't bite as well on the first stroke as I thought it should but the second was better. Hmmm, at least the apex or corner didn't roll over or chip out and disappear all together, which is a plus, so I continued down the saw. Believe it or not the file kept cutting down the length. I came back the other way and still O.K. Well guys, I was able to shape all the teeth back in and the file looked like this when I was done.

With the filing still cutting well, I thought what the heck, I'm going to try and use the same edge bevel filing them. Guess what, it made it through all of the teeth! Yes, I was surprised too.

Not leaving well enough alone, a week later I started using the same edge to reshape a H. Disston & Son era Extra Refined No.9, 26" 8 ppi cross cut.

I was able to get all new teeth shaped in on this one with that same edge.

The file edge is still cutting but has pretty much reached it's useful life.

Here's the picture of the edge, on the left, after doing all that work. Not all that bad really and no chipping.

I know that only one edge and one file does not make a test but there could possibly still be some hope for this old file brand...only time and a few more files will tell.
Take care,
Daryl
Sounds good. I hope they continue to better the files
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Likewise...please keep us informed, Daryl!
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
Daryl, where did you get them?

Edit: Silly me, never mind, was in the HDepot today and picked me up one.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I appreciate the information and perspective on Nicholson files. We can all hope they will improve.

But the thing that impressed me the most was your sharpening! You did one great job! I only wish I could do as well. Those teeth are impressive. Absolutely uniform and sharp so far as my eyes can see!
A heads up: Read the Sawmill Cr post, too. I like the recommended refund criteria.

If you and George 'done good', maybe, reverse business philosophy is possible in Corporate World, and quality is alive.

Super supporting graphics, Daryl!
Admiral said:

Daryl, where did you get them?

Edit: Silly me, never mind, was in the HDepot today and picked me up one.

Well Rich, I was going to answer your question but ya beat me too it....

My favorite brand of new files still remain the Bahco brand but you can't get them in the 4 or 5" double extra slim anymore. It's also been quite a few years since they've been available (IIRC it was 2007-2009). I wondered if they discontinued them because of low sales volume. I really wish they would bring that size back.

This was written by Marv in another post:

"Awhile back I bought a box of Bahco files just to see what all the rage was about. I bought 4" double slims, single cut. The teeth per inch was on the coarse side and the biggest negative was the large radius on the corners. I only started to use one of them. They would not work on a 14PPI backsaw. Maybe I got an odd batch of files. Let us know what you think of them."

I guess the 4" double extra slims I bought where fine, maybe you did get a bad box Marv. I would assume the files you purchased were a few years old as I mentioned above.

I buy the Bahcos by the box but it's also nice to be able to go to a store that has Nicholson on hand and pick a single one up if you need to. Not everyone wants to buy a box of files.

The thing is, if Nicholson does improve their quality, they have 4 and 5" double extra slims.
Take care,
Daryl
Blackstone said:

I appreciate the information and perspective on Nicholson files. We can all hope they will improve.

But the thing that impressed me the most was your sharpening! You did one great job! I only wish I could do as well. Those teeth are impressive. Absolutely uniform and sharp so far as my eyes can see!

Thanks for the kudos!....it also helps that I have a few saws under my belt.
Take care,
Daryl
I have more news on this! Nicholson files are back!!

Now the bad news: They will be available only through Comcast Customer Service.
I found the new "green package" Nicholson files at two local hardware stores yesterday. If they have found their way to my little town, then they should be available most places.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com