qs sycamore
what is a fair price for qs sycamore in various parts of the country, I'm in the pnw.
thanks
mike
Sycamore is a secondary wood in my part of Ohio, somewhat like Poplar, Beech, Gum, and many others. Most of them are readily available, and rough/green you can often get them for as little a 50 cents a bd/ft, KD around $1.50. Sycamore is very seldom if ever flat sawn. It has almost no charm as a flat wood. QS it comes alive, and anyone talking about Sycamore adding the QS part is almost a redundancy.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I've been watching for some for over a year now, and had a lead on some lumber yards that may stock it; that hasn't panned out yet. But it was no where near as cheap as Steve N indicated, the prices I was given were closer to $4-$5 bd. ft. for 4/4 kiln dried (when it was in stock).
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
FML had several stacks at the last sale for 75 cents bd/ft QS, KD, widths to 18". The nature of the tree makes for FAS stock. I thought about it, but I have about 95 bd/ft already, and needed some 4/4 hard maple, and 4/4 Pa Cherry. Only had room for 2 bundles, so I passed on the Sycamore.

Randy Goins, and Bill Otto both had a lot available recently for around that 50 cent mark green/rough. Due to the wet spring, and high water along all the creeks and rivers, add a few really bad wind days, and a lot fell last Spring. Sycamore's downfall is a really wet season with high wind, they drop easily when the roots are too soggy. They are pretty top heavy trees.

You get to seeing this, and there is another one falling soon.

GW
It runs $4.75 to $6.50 in central Indiana (depending on how much you buy)

I've never had any trouble finding it.

Loves me some qtr-sawn sycamore...

I'm a great believer in luck. The harder I work, the more of it I seem to have.
I like sycamore, but I never seen any here near Tallahassee. I used to find plenty in SE Pennsylvania when I lived near there and still might buy some when I am up north to visit family if I am running low.

I don't specifically remember, but I think I paid something like $3.75 per bf, which is what they currently list it at.

BTW, My favorite yard says that it has to be quarter sawn to be stable.
I imagine it does have to be QS to be stable because the non-QS stuff I bought from the hobby shop I used to use had 1/8" ripples across the width. It was really boring too. I think it was dirt cheap though, I bought it to see if I could do anything with it. Still have some years later
When I was at the Pike Place Market, this gentleman had some stuff made with sycamore. http://www.weirdwoods.com/ . I think he said that he had a small sawmill and cuts his own. It's a long shot, but he may be able to help you.
I am not sure why anyone mentions $.50/bf when someone is trying to get a bead on pricing. Green blocking sells for more than that here in hardwood country. Good on you if you find any hardwood under $1.

I think I sell clear QS sycamore for $3.25 and have not seen it for less around here. It grows here. Location is a huge part of pricing.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
TomFromStLouis said:

I am not sure why anyone mentions $.50/bf when someone is trying to get a bead on pricing. Green blocking sells for more than that here in hardwood country. Good on you if you find any hardwood under $1.

I think I sell clear QS sycamore for $3.25 and have not seen it for less around here. It grows here. Location is a huge part of pricing.

You heard it first folks. St Louis Mo is the only place in the USA where Sycamores grow. Now those big stark white/grey ghosts you see all along every creek, or river all through the Midwest are a figment of your imagination. Surely Tom knows what every seller is selling QS Sycamore for. Wait a minute, it appears he doesn't even know what he is selling his own stock for, he thinks it's $3.25 though. Sheesh

Just in case reading retention is a difficulty with you, this is what the OP asked. I answered what I have seen in the last 6 months in SW Ohio. The only part of your drivel I agree with is LOCATION is indeed a large part of pricing, therefore our OP in the PNW will probably be paying high prices like yours.

"what is a fair price for qs sycamore in various parts of the country, I'm in the pnw.
thanks
mike "

GW