Sanborn Air Compressor
Anyone have any experience with Sanborn air compressors? I'm looking at this one from Menards:

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardwa...014496407366092

It's a 60 gallon, 135 psi, 11.5 @ 90, 13.4 @ 40, twin cylinder - $400. Lowes and Home Depot have similar compressors (but single cylinder) for around $450 with good reviews. I prefer the twin cylinder but it may come down to final pricing after all the coupons and sale pricing. Appreciate any comments. I'm upgrading so I can start spraying finishes.

Lonnie
I've had a 60gal. Sanborn for several years. It works well and has never cost me a dime. I wouldn't hesitate to but another if I needed another compressor.

I use it for air tools, sandblasting, tires, etc. It doesn't get heavy use but it is all I need for garage and woodshop use.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
I think that one will be hard to beat for the price, they make nice, reasonably priced compressors.

Brew
Mr Eddie said:

Lowes and Home Depot have similar compressors (but single cylinder) for around $450 with good reviews. I prefer the twin cylinder but it may come down to final pricing after all the coupons and sale pricing. Appreciate any comments. I'm upgrading so I can start spraying finishes.

Sure about that? All the ones I've seen at the BORG with vertical tanks, including the 30 gal roll-abouts, are twin-cylinder, but single-stage. Same style as the Sanborn.

Of course, my having not seen one doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but belt-driven compressors 1 hp and up are almost always twins.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Thanks Tom. I took a second look and you are correct.
I have a similar compressor as the Sanborn. Mine is twin cylinder but SINGLE stage.You may have thought the compressor was a two stage one.Probably more like a grand or better for a two stage compressor.
mike
It's a single stage. I looked at the two stage but like you said they all start at a grand or more. The twin cylinder does help some even though only a single stage - can pump a little higher psi into the tank. I'm trying to find a Lowes coupon for 10% off as I think my local Menards will honor it. The compressor is on sale for $400 so another 10% gets it to $360. I don't think I can beat that.

Lonnie
If you're main heavy-volume use is for spraying finishes, you'd be better off with a lower pressure compressor anyway. Pumping air up to 175 psi, then blowing it down to 40 psi, means the flow times pressure difference is just wasted energy. Very inefficient. Reducing from 100 psi to 40 is less wasted energy. And you don't want to pay for a 2-stage high-pressure compressor anyway. Just be sure it delivers enough flow rate to exceed the gun requirements, as spraying is pretty much a continuous process, so the pump has to be able to keep up. If not, you're supplementing with the stored air in the receiver, and sooner or later you'll run out of stored volume, forcing you to stop and wait. And if a lot of spraying is anticipated, use a compressor with 100% duty-cycle rating.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Just got back from picking up the compressor. Got a Lowes coupon and Menards honored it - $360 after sale and discounts. I think it will work out well. I don't anticipate spraying a heavy volume of items but I want to be able to do a good job on the things I do spray. It's rated over 13 cfm @ 40 psi. I'm confident it will work well for the gun I plan to use. I'm going to get the same setup that John got from Jeff Jewitt. I'm still recovering from some back ailments so it will be a few weeks before I can get the compressor in place and wired up. I have some build-ins to do this spring and this is going to speed everything up and give a much better finish than I could have done by hand.

Lonnie
Wow. That's a smoking deal. You did well. And I suspect that machine is more than enough for what you want, which is a good thing when it comes to compressors.
Tom