Good price on lumber?
Saw an ad for Makore (African Cherry) lumber. $60 for the following pieces. This seems like a good deal? How is hard is this species to work with and how does it look after finish is applied.

64 x 5 x 7/4
65 x 5 1/2 x 7/4
64 x 5 1/4 x 7/4 with crack that has been glued

43 x 4 1/4 x 7/4
44 x 5 1/2 x 6/4
If it is $60 for all that, that is a no brainer. Run don't walk. That wood could have interesting grain. You can get curly wood, fiddleback or others. It is a bit on the Mahagony color range and works well with sharp tools. I would take a chance for sure. Unless you see it and it is all knotty then why not.
John T.
That's around $3.52/BF. S4S sells for around $10/BF. Mixed grain S2S for around $6/BF. Looks like a decent deal, but 7/4 is an odd thickness. If all you're going to do is plane it down to 3/4" thick, you're better off buying mixed grain S2S, IMO.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Resaw???????

With nothing wider than 5 1/2" you could resaw on a 14" easily. Huh, guess that never occurred to you?
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Where is it? I will go check it out for you
Grant

"GO BUCKEYES"
How selfless
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Steve N said:

Resaw???????

With nothing wider than 5 1/2" you could resaw on a 14" easily. Huh, guess that never occurred to you?

Nope. Not until you mentioned it. Thanks for pointing it out in such a kind and gentle manner.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
That is a good deal on the material. One warning about using it though especially if you will be resawing it. The fine dust from the stuff is rough. Think red pepper. I tried resawing some of it a long time ago and it was not a nice experience. You may be lucky and not have a reaction to the dust but I have yet to meet anyone who has reacted different than I did. If you are doing anything that generates fine dust just wear a good dust mask. Other than that it is a really nice looking wood when finished. I actually built some cabinetry out of it and it was quite stunning.
I would jump on that. The short pieces are plenty for legs and you could resaw the longer pieces to 3/4 and have a really nice table, TV stand, etc. Good luck.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
+1

Its one of my favorite exotics. But take the sensitivity seriously. One of the only woods that makes my nose run.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)