Cook top trials and tribulations
The previous owners of my house put in new cabinets, floors and backsplashes but re-used all the old (very old) appliances and sink and faucet.

I had previously replaced the refrigerator and dishwasher. So when the cook top failed I did some research and bought a GE Profile induction top (to be installed by Best Buy).

When the installer arrived he measured the opening and declared it “too big” for the unit, this despite the fact that I gave totally accurate measurements to the sales person.

So I had to put in a new countertop (butcher block, looks great). I went to Sears this time and they up-sold me to a Kenmore unit (highly rated, and deeply discounted). It was larger than the GE and would not fit in the 30” cabinet (it was called a 30” cook top though).

Then I finally got the original GE cook top. I cut the opening and it fit perfectly. A friend was going to do the hook up. He does a lot of electrical work for the home theater company he works for.

The cook top is rated for 40 amps. The circuit breaker is 50 amp and the flex cable is 30 amp.

So an electrician is coming today to give me a price to replace the circuit breaker to 40 amps and the line also to 40 amps.

This is the “simple job” that never ends.

While I am at it I made the L-shaped counter wider (was 24”, is now 40” wide). The extra counter space is great. But now I have to build a cabinet to go under the overhand to support it. It is done. I made a 48” wide bookcase-type shelving unit and a 10 bottle wine rack to fit under. I have only to apply the finish now.

But still a simple take-out-and-replaced that got to be lots and lots more.

And while I’m at it I am going to re-finish the cabinets and put in a new tile back splash.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Should have gone with gas the heat is quick and easier to control.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

No gas in our area. I would have had to get a propane tank. But more important to me is that the induction cook top has a timer. And I have been known to forget about stuff on the cook top. The timer eliminates that issue.

Also the induction cook top does not generate any heat. It only heats the pot itself and it cool to the touch in about 20 seconds after you remove the pot.
Here is the top. Installed but not hooked up. Looks fine; does not work yet.

Looks nice. My experience with electric cook tops has been bad, gas is available and even with that btu per burner can effect the way you cook. I like high heat and instantly. Then again strange things happen at my place. 5 gallons of hot chocolate is not rare, the ability to get it done in 20 minutes is whole lot of stirring to keep the milk from burning
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Bob10 said:

Looks nice. My experience with electric cook tops has been bad, gas is available and even with that btu per burner can effect the way you cook. I like high heat and instantly. Then again strange things happen at my place. 5 gallons of hot chocolate is not rare, the ability to get it done in 20 minutes is whole lot of stirring to keep the milk from burning

Induction cook tops are supposed to be able to hold an accurate temperature--better than gas or any other electric.

Here is a NY Times article: http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2...e-burners/

It says that induction burners are up to 90% efficient. Compare with 70% for a standard electric burner or 30% for a gas burner.

It is also the very fastest way to boil water. GE claims you can boil a quart of water in 101 seconds. Probably faster than your gas range.
I have used them before and just never liked them. They were required for catering events in places without or bad ventilation.

Phil Thien

Bob10 said:

That's true for electric cooktops but induction is a different animal. It's magnetic and heats the pot and only the pot.

We picked up an induction countertop burner to use while we were remodeling the kitchen. Now that the gas stove is up and running I have been using it but I don't like it anymore. I got spoiled on the induction.
With the induction the pot heats much faster than gas. The rim of the pot doesn't get hot and neither does the handle. You can even put your fingers on the plate next to the pot and it will be just above room temperature.

If you want high heat and want it now induction is the way to go. Oh and you don't heat up the kitchen like gas or electric units do.

And for the original poster. Just put a 40 amp whip on the cooktop. There is no reason to change the breaker. The breaker protects the wiring in the wall not the appliance.
Robert Adams said:

[blockquote]Bob10 said:

That's true for electric cooktops but induction is a different animal. It's magnetic and heats the pot and only the pot.

We picked up an induction countertop burner to use while we were remodeling the kitchen. Now that the gas stove is up and running I have been using it but I don't like it anymore. I got spoiled on the induction.
With the induction the pot heats much faster than gas. The rim of the pot doesn't get hot and neither does the handle. You can even put your fingers on the plate next to the pot and it will be just above room temperature.

If you want high heat and want it now induction is the way to go. Oh and you don't heat up the kitchen like gas or electric units do.

And for the original poster. Just put a 40 amp whip on the cooktop. There is no reason to change the breaker. The breaker protects the wiring in the wall not the appliance.

[/blockquote]

While waiting to get the new top done I was also using an induction table top unit. I would not go back to a conventional unit once I got used to the induction. I particularly like the timer plus the "keep warm" feature.

What I don't like is the buzzer that goes off each time I lift the pot from the "burner" while it is still on.

The GE Profile has a little indicator light that tells you if the burner is still hot to the touch.

It also has a bridge feature that allows you to use two burners with one very large pot or griddle.

I'm not much of a cook, but I like the way induction works. I did have to buy a couple of new pots as I had an aluminum fry pan. The next one will have to be magnetic aluminum.
That looks like a very clean installation. I'll be interested to hear how well those butcher block countertops hold up in a couple of years. I'm sure my wife would destroy them with spattering grease and would forget and set a screaming hot pot right on it.

John