Some of the guys in my club.
Almost every time a new wood turner asks a question someone suggests they find a club. I have done it and will continue to do so as I firmly believe in what a good club has to offer. As an example I offer this pdf I stumbled across just the other day. All of these men are or were members of the club I belong to. I am fortunate enough to have turned with and learned from three of the four. Sadly Doc Bahr had passed before I joined and I never knew him. It's enough for me that the others speak highly of him. Here is the article

Woodworkers Journal wood turning challenge.
Steve K

I would rate the club as my primary learning source. I may have learned as much from the forums, but that is more from discussion rather than actually doing things. You just can't beat hands on instruction.

robo hippy
I wish I had time for a club. Never did. The next best thing was finding this site. I learned on my own with tips from the guys here and reading books/articles on line. That is the hard way. I still have miles to go!

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
Steve

I agree with you. Although I do not get to interact with any, but 1 and he comes to my house on a weekly basis, but most of my learning comes from here or when Lyle Jamieson stopped by here 3 times and that was priceless.

I so looking forward to driving in May or June, but still need to find a small truck to drive so I can see people.
You guys can not imagine how lonely it gets without talking to someone or being around others just to hang around with.

Until I found Jim I had no outside contact with anyone just once a month at the club meeting and here. I want to go and visit you guys here and see your set up and turn together.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I love my local club: Woodturners of Olympia. It's an extremely well run club. Here's just a few of the benefits to members:
Excellent speakers throughout the year. As an example Dave Schweitzer of D-Way Tools will be doing a presentation for this month.
Live demos and workshops
Discounted supplies like sandpaper and adhesives.
A lending library of books and videos on woodturning.
Actually being in the same room with a bunch of people with the same interests that you have. This forum is great but nothing beats face-to-face for learning.
All that for only $25 a year.
The club also supports woodturning at the local high schools and does food drives and stuff to help the local community.
The year's first meeting is on the 28th. I'll be renewing my membership then.
The difference between trying to teach myself and actually having competent people show me how to do things correctly is staggering.
I recommend joining a club to anyone that has access to one. It will pay for itself quickly, possibly on the first visit.
Rodney
I wouldn't have thought there was a club in my area, but sure enough there is one
I'm obviously in the minority here, but I've picked up more online (here, youtube, other online videos & club sites, etc) than from the guys at my local club.
"I'm glad being trapped in the woods hunted by an insane militia made you ask the big life questions."

Check out my Project Blog
Of course by the time there were any wood turners clubs, I already had learned all the wrong ways of how to turn wood
Not to even mention computers and the net, videos etc.
However I am a member and have been for several years of a turners and now woodworkers cub, just the interaction with a like-minded group is worth the 2 hr drive to me.
Have fun and take care