Help finding a good quality affordable set of brad point drill bits
I got the Woodcaft set on sale but I agree just buy the ones you need as you need them.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
I ordinarily agree with the aversion to sets, but I would have to order odd sizes. It is a great comfort to know that any size between 1/16 and 3/8 (1/64 increment) is ready in my shop. I've used a lot of them.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
Steve N said:

My suggestion is buy the best bits you can afford, and forget about the set part. Just get the sizes you need, as you need them.

I agree with Steve. I find i use a half dozen sizes 99% of the time - mostly the smaller sizes, 3/8 and smaller. Buy an indexed drill bit storage box and fill it up as you need new sizes. I have lots of cheap, miscellaneous twist bits I use for pilot holes and such, and toss them when they get worn beyond use or break. I keep my good brad points in a metal indexed box and save them for precision drilling.
I bought a cheaper set then replace the ones that I use most frequently with better quality bits. Allows me to drill good holes on better projects, covers me on off beat things....Tom
Grainger or McMaster should have individual bits.
Also, someone here recommended Montana drill bits (made in the USA) and I've been very happy with those.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
YSU65 said:

I bought a cheaper set then replace the ones that I use most frequently with better quality bits. Allows me to drill good holes on better projects, covers me on off beat things....Tom

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I bought the set from WoodCraft. They are pretty good but I replace them as needed with Forest City Tools brand. Just my personal preference, haven't used many of the others mentioned so I can't compare quality.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Makes a lot of sense to buy them as you need them, but I really like having them on hand rather than holding up a project waiting for a bit to arrive in the mail. I have the set of small bits from LV and really like them and an off brand set of larger bits up to 1/2", IIRC which I probably don't. The LV bits cut cleaner, but for the time being the bigger ones will have to do..
I bought the Rockler bits when they were on sale for $24.95. When I got home I put them in a drawer and didn't use them for a couple of months. When I did, I found that the 1/2" bit was not straight. The runout at the end was about 1/4". I called Rockler. They apologized all over the place and sent out a replacement set right away. I immediately tested all the bits and they were fine. I asked about shipping the others back and they said that I should keep them. I have found the bits to work well and have to give them kudos for acting rapidly to rectify a problem.
Ken
Carolyn "Kscott & GDay, can I come sniff you?"
Timberwolf "You ARE WHO you eat"!!!!!!! "
Spokeshave "You're swallowing someone else's DNA right now."
kscott said:

I bought the Rockler bits when they were on sale for $24.95. When I got home I put them in a drawer and didn't use them for a couple of months. When I did, I found that the 1/2" bit was not straight. The runout at the end was about 1/4". I called Rockler. They apologized all over the place and sent out a replacement set right away. I immediately tested all the bits and they were fine. I asked about shipping the others back and they said that I should keep them. I have found the bits to work well and have to give them kudos for acting rapidly to rectify a problem.
Ken

Thanks for that bit of information Ken (no pun intended). I never really trust Amazon reviews very much. For all my heavy use bits I have the LV bits. In general I buy things as I need them. Drill bits are an exception to that though. I find I'm always pulling odd sized bits from one of my indexes. If I bought them as I needed them I would either do a lot of waiting for drill bits or I would drill the wrong size hole to make due with what I have. It sounds like the Rockler bits may be a decent value.
My first set or five brad point drills (1/4",3/8",1/2",5/8",3/4") came with my new Shopsmith in 1980 and the three smallest have been resharpened once by Woodcraft. Many years ago I bought the Lee Valley 5/64" to 1/4" set. Since then I have ordered a few needed sizes from Lee Valley and that is where I will buy more if needed.
Brian
Shop power by Powermatic, Shopsmith, Delta & Bosch.