Designing on the fly, part 2
A little while ago, I posted about a box build that had taken on a life of it's own. The lid was nice but the box needed something. If anyone really wants to know, this was the thread.
First thread

For better or worse, here's what I landed on. I'm calling it done. I made a new box from scratch, this time out of birds eye maple. It's not trivial stuff to dovetail! One corner went together off the saw (the woodworking gods throw me the occasional bone). The rest I had to pare a touch, and I do mean touch -- "grain direction" is a relative term here. It's easy to send a chunk flying if you're not careful.

I gave it a bubinga base (to match the lid frame). It looked silly with the box on it. I shortened it (the feet on the front and rear extended way too far) and it's a little better balanced now. I have to see these things -- I could never work straight from a drawing.

Here's the box.

As I mentioned before, the lid shape was basically designed by the wood grain and the two little knots up front. The underside is mostly like it was, but I added a new, elongated recess. It's hard to see in this photo

but a little easier to see in this one, mated with a matching recess on the box. This lightened up an area that had looked slabby to me in the earlier version. Gouge work was a fun challenge on both of these unruly species. I ended up making a miniature curved scraper to smooth the divots.

The box looked a little empty and uninteresting, so I added some dividers. The front-right compartment is sized for pens and pencils. The others just made an interesting pattern.

I added shape to the base by relieving the middle on the front and rear.

So that's it. As I said, for better or worse. Fun project, and funner to have something unplanned and just let it evolve.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Wow. That's a winner for sure!
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
I recall my comment in the first thread was something to the effect of reducing the width of the rails and stiles on the lid. I thought that if the lid looked 'lighter' that would clean up the look.

You took the opposite tack and increased the size of the box to achieve a delicate look and preserve the features of the lid. WELL DONE. I also enjoy the recesses and shaping done to the base.

All together, your redesign is spectacular. I enjoy the look and and am happy that you shared the adventure.

I wasn't a fan of the first one, but you have a good eye for proportion and design and recognized what was needed. This new version is superb.

Nicely done.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I really love the joints on the bottom which adds a flair to it.

Good work

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Dang! That's a winner!
Aram,
Your box is a delicious blending of virtuosity and capriciousness. I find it very pleasing. I smile every time I look at the pictures. Thank you for sharing, both the final product and the process.
Very nice. I really like the base.

Jonathan

I only regret the tools I didn't buy!

“Think about it: Everything with a power cord eventually winds up in the trash.” John Sarge
LIL Thanks everyone
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site