New laminated felt polishing wheel
For my little mobile sharpening machine for woodcarving knives....I was plowing through one of my "junk boxes" the other day and found a big roll of felt that is about 3/16" thick..I have had it so long that I don't even remember where I got it, but it had to be a flea market somewhere...I am guessing it would be considered "medium" density..

Anyway, I decided to laminate a small wheel about 3/4" thick out of it and see how it would work on a tapered mandrel, and I have to say that it is a great way to put a highly polished edge on a small knife...It isn't quite as "fast" as my usual leather wheel, but it does take and hold a "charge" of compound very well, and it has a "softer" feel as you hold the blade against it...Here's a couple of pics of it.....

If you have an old motor in your "junque" stash, you might want to consider putting it to work with a felt wheel and tapered mandrel. You can make or buy several wheels and charge them with different grits, for polishing hard woods {like knife or tool handles, brass or steel..

Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I can believe it's a versatile addition!

It reminds me of my "go-to" pen for crossword puzzles, which I made out of leather laminates about 6-7 years ago, and which doesn't appear it will ever wear out:

Chris
Cool looking pen!!!!! Leather will last a very long time!! I have the Marine Corps K-Bar with laminated leather handle I carried throughout the Korean War and it's still ready for service!!!!!

Get off my lawn !
Upset

That is a really neat idea Jack. I take it it's just sort of threaded onto that mandrel? Looks to be like it would be a quick change deal. I've never seen a mandrel like that....but most likely I have but was focused on something else.
Buck

Business Meetings - None of us is as dumb as all of us.
Buck, I have used tapered mandrels for many years, and they are available in left hand and right hand rotation..I believe Woodcraft sells them, but I know McMasters Carr does..They come in 1/2" and 5/8" shaft sizes and smaller, but smaller shaft sizes are harder to find. The one shown in the pic fits a 5/16" shaft....McMasters may also sell bushings that can be used to accommodate whatever size you need...But guys with a lathe can turn one out of aluminum on their wood lathe to fit..

I have several different wheels I use on this machine, Cratex for rust removal and deburring, muslin and leather that are charged with different grit compounds etc...They can be changed instantly, so the mandrel is extremely handy..

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Found em. McMaster has them listed as buffing spindles.

Thanks,
Buck

Business Meetings - None of us is as dumb as all of us.
Good....I know you'll like it...

Get off my lawn !
Upset