Casters?
I need 4 casters for a traditional oak office chair (cane back, turned spindles, webbed seat with an attached upholstered cushion). There are lots of them out there, but they all seem like junk. Anyone have some they love, sturdy, durable, somewhat traditional looking (Not plastic or glow in the dark skate board wheels), quiet on a hard floor?

Phil
Take a look at VanDyke's Restorer: VanDyke's
Sullivan said:

Take a look at VanDyke's Restorer: VanDyke's

Thanks for your input! They have a bunch of them. I like the looks of this one best -

That is real similar to the ones I have on the old base. The rubber wheel is pretty important so I don't catch it from the wife when I'm using the chair and she's trying to sleep. The problem I've had is with the caster sleeve or the socket that holds the stem of the caster. It seems that after a few months of wheeling back and forth the sleeve fails and no longer holds the caster securely. Have you had any experience with this caster or maybe more importantly with its sleeve?

I've looked for a caster like this, but that would mount with a plate and 4 screws instead of a stem thinking that may be a more durable system. I haven't found one like that though.
Northern Tool has a really good selection of castors at decent prices. Maybe they have something that suits you.
Finding casters hasn't been a problem, but I haven't had much luck finding ones that stand up to normal wear and tear (if by normal I mean by me, 6'6", 245# ). I'm hoping someone here has experience with casters they are satisfied with so I don't need to buy another pig in a poke. The ones I have now (from Ace Hardware, I think, third set on this chair) are burping bearings up on the floor so I suspect they aren't long for this world.
I suggest you call a couple of vendors and talk to the reps. They are usually pretty knowledgeable and want you to get what you need.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
Northern Tool casters are listed with the weight they arte intended to bear.
Have you looked at the ones in Home Depot or Lowes??? Maybe Harbor Freight even.
John T.
I know you said not cheap and no plastic, but in case you reconsider these seem to be working out for me. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006LY4...ailpage_o05_s00 . You might look on Amazon. They had a wide selection. Make sure you get the proper length post. I got this set of five for the price of one wheel of many of the higher end versions. Got them to protect my wood floor. They are also quiet. Seem to be working fine. I believe the rubber on them is replaceable, but for the price compared to others I can either replace the rubber parts or buy a whole new set at some point. You, however, are a bit taller and I assume heavier than me so that no doubt is a consideration. Good luck.
These work very well http://www.rockler.com/plate-or-socket-m...ll-casters I use them on my dining room table for about 8 years. Dan