hand axe
How would you sharpen one of those hand axe that some of you have that is used in carving?
If you're asking about single bevel versus double bevel, singles are best suited to hewing a flat surface, like squaring a timber. The double bevel is better for curved work. Some say a double bevel should be asymmetrical, but in which way or why eludes me.

If you're asking about the process there's a lot of help on the webs, for starters-

from Robin Wood
from Paul Sellers
I use a mill file, followed by a sharpening stone. You don't have to get scary sharp. The stone is about 1000 grit. You may also get some ideas here:

Gransfors Bruk - The Axe Book

I don't recommend using a grinder, since an axe prefers a convex or flat bevel, and that's really hard to master with a grinder. The edge of an axe takes a real beating. A convex edge helps prevent edge damage.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
If you are wondering about angles, my Tormek book recommends a 35 degree cutting edge. That's 17.5 degrees on each side. Don't make the mistake I did once and put a 35 degree bevel on each side. That 70 degree edge just bounced off the wood. Many of the old timers could get an axe scary sharp with just a mill file. I use the Tormek with the single bit jig and it's a very easy process to create a beautiful bevel and edge.

If the bevel is messed up or there are chips, I freehand the bevel on a grinder. (You want a fairly steep bevel, as a shallow angle will just fold over when you hit something hard like a big knot.) Then I take it through my usual honing routine: coarse stone, fine stone, strop. You can grind it at a shallow bevel and use a steeper secondary bevel if you like. For optimal performance, the edge should be just as keen as a chisel or a plane iron. In practice, you can get away with a somewhat coarser edge, but I think you'll really come to appreciate a well-sharpened axe.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Thanks Guys All great information.I really like that one from Robin Wood but you have to get it to the point where that would work and that's where your information really comes in.Thank You again Stan
When I had many to sharpen, an angle grinder did a great job. Those carborundumy pucks probably sat in everyone's pack--if they got that far--only a few minutes. Chainsaw rake files were borrowed by someone with lots of energy.