Dado Set: 6" or 8"
I need to get a dado set, and it looks like for about the same money I can get a 'better quality' blade in the 6" size, or a 'somewhat less good' one in the 8" size. I don't think I need huge depth of cut. So, what's the better way to go, and why?
Good judgement is the product of experience.
Experience is the product of poor judgement.
8" would give you more depth to a dado. If you are planning on making large bridle joints for a farm table or something like that you would want the 8". You would need a cabinet saw to run it. Contractor saw would get bogged down.

6" is more practical and the cleanest cut is IMHO is what you want so spend your money for that vs size.
You'll notice the higher quality more than you'll notice the extra size.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Regarding cleanest cut - nobody wants dados that have to be cleaned up after every cut - is a high end dado set like the Infinity worth twice the price of a set from Freud?

Lonnie
I did the original video for Infinity's Dadonator, and have both Freud's Dial-A-Width and their SuperDado sets, both of which I have made videos of for Freud.

I have used all three extensively. All three give excellent cuts, and I would be very happy to have any of them.

As far as 6" vs 8", I honestly have never even maxed out the height capacity for a 6" set, let alone an 8". Not in 30 years as a professional woodworker. I'm not saying there is no reason to have the extra height capability, but it would be rare and unusual circumstances in my mind.

As was stated above, you'll use the quality much more than the extra depth.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
6" is easier to spin theoretically, but I've never had an issue with bogging even on a Delta compact saw spinning a full heavy stack 8". Sometimes a 6" can shave a few bucks of the total, but some of the best bangs for the buck are 8" only (Delta/DeWalt 7670), so you'd be excluding those if you limit yourself to 6".

What saw do you have?
Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I have the 8" Freud Super Dado set and occasionally use it with a sled that has a 3/4" base. I have no idea if the 6" would have enough depth for the sled and the deep cuts I sometime make but have never run short of capacity with the 8". Ken
Wild Turkey said:

You'll notice the higher quality more than you'll notice the extra size.

Sage advice here

Also in agreement for a dado it's going to be a rare day when you need to "go deep"

50+ years and a 6" dado has been more than sufficient. I have an 8" somewhere, never opened the box

Used to do some on site, large bridal joints, while framing structures. We would cut them with repeated passes of a circ saw, and chisel out the waste. If I run into something in the shop that calls for a rally deep joint, I'll do it like that
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Got a Unisaw (throwing out a gloat: saw is mint, 52" unifence, mobile base, plus a 2hp dust collector thrown in for only $500 (Canadian!)). No problem with power. However, funds are tight (especially when shopping in those aforementioned Canada dollars).

Lots of places are listing the Freud 206 and 208 series dado blades. Are they okay, or do I 'need' something better to get a decent cut in ply?
Good judgement is the product of experience.
Experience is the product of poor judgement.
PaulC said:

Got a Unisaw (throwing out a gloat: saw is mint, 52" unifence, mobile base, plus a 2hp dust collector thrown in for only $500 (Canadian!)). No problem with power. However, funds are tight (especially when shopping in those aforementioned Canada dollars).

Lots of places are listing the Freud 206 and 208 series dado blades. Are they okay, or do I 'need' something better to get a decent cut in ply?

I had the Freud 206. I now have the Freud 508. Both did very well. I sold the 206 when I sold my contractor saw. I moved up to a SawStop and its brake system only works with 8" stacks. I think the 508 makes a smoother cut on the bottom, but it is significantly higher in cost.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")