Jet slow speed grinder
I have one of these and If it has 3 hrs on it would be an understatement and I just today pushed the start switch and it will not run. Any ideas? Is there a restart button on there ,I looked and could not find one. Any ideas on this would be very helpful, Thanks Stan
power on at the outlet? GFI tripped?

that is a place to start
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I also would check at the outlet first. Plug something such as a motor in it. A router or sander of sort. Not a light. If you have power then sometimes those motors have a thermal cutout and require reset. Look all over the motor and see if that is the case. If no reset then very possible a splice came loose from the vibration. Need to unplug and open up and inspect. Check all wires by pulling on them slightly. Could be a bad switch. If that is all OK then you have a ships anchor.
John T.
After searching the web I found that there are parts avaiable for this except the circuit board.There is a fuse on that board but from what I can see it is ok and I don't know enough about how to check those components. I did find a place that I think might of helped me by doing a search on the circuit board for a Jet JSSG-10 but some how I lost it and now cannot find it again. Stan
the page will be in your internet history it helps if you know about when you searched it timewise but you can just reopen pages until you find it.
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

bgosh said:

I have one of these and If it has 3 hrs on it would be an understatement and I just today pushed the start switch and it will not run. Any ideas? Is there a restart button on there ,I looked and could not find one. Any ideas on this would be very helpful, Thanks Stan

I have one as well. It's about 10 years old. Mine does the same from time to time. I usually fiddle with the switch and sometimes help get it going by turning the stropping wheel by hand. When it was fairly new, I had to take it in for warranty work on the switch.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

I also would check at the outlet first. Plug something such as a motor in it. A router or sander of sort. Not a light. If you have power then sometimes those motors have a thermal cutout and require reset. Look all over the motor and see if that is the case. If no reset then very possible a splice came loose from the vibration. Need to unplug and open up and inspect. Check all wires by pulling on them slightly. Could be a bad switch. If that is all OK then you have a ships anchor.

^^^^^^This. Sound advice.
Could be the start capacitor. Had a Jet 1HP buffer that wouldn't start up unless I gave the wheels a quick spin before hand.

It was so easy to do as there were no guards on it that I never bothered looking into a replacement. Try giving the wheels a spin and then hitting the switch - if it runs just fine that's probably your problem.

I would never "fiddle" with a switch that worked intermittently - they're pretty easy to access and tighten whatever is loose or replace.

JT
Always start "upstream" and work your way down....Go to the outlet and check that with a test light...then down to the "off/on" switch, then it may be the centrifugal switch inside the bell housing not making contact...I would "tap" lightly on the housing with a small piece of wood while the power switch is "on"........If it "hums" but wont rotate on it's own, you may have a defective starting capacitor. Try giving the grinding wheel a "spin" with your hand while operating the start switch.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

This may have been a subject of discussion 8 years ago or so. IIRC, when I took mine in, there was some talk about how the wiring was connected at the factory, and there was a defect in some machines that caused problems like the one described.

Sorry I can't help more than that, but it has been a while since this came up.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")