What is the most difficult tool to sharpen....
Not insurmountable, but I have two that tie:

Router plane double bevel blade
Hook knife

Both require me to hold the tool and manipulate the blade on the sharpening media at awkward angles.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
AHill said:

Both require me to hold the tool and manipulate the blade on the sharpening media at awkward angles.

Why not move the stone and keep the blade still?

And to answer the original question; A sledge hammer is the hardest tool to sharpen, I haven't seen a sharp one yet.
Thanks Jack and Mark. Looks like another project to add to the list.

Phil
If you search for a thread titled "yet another belt sharpener" there is a link to detailed drawings that Doobes drew up. You could easily modify the lever length to use Jacks bearings. I used an automotive idler pulley because that was available at a local store.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

Great! A lot of good info in that thread. If anybody else is interested it is here. I'll read this more carefully and probably have some questions. Glad you guys have kept this one afloat.
Nice machine...couple of years ago I contemplated building a square wheel grinder but didn't have a welder, so instead I bought a 2"X72" Grizzly belt grinder..and it works fine after I tweaked it a little...I would still love to have the variable speed tho..I have a new 1/2hp variable speed motor that I plan to use on a 2"X48" belt grinder I plan to build..It was on sale at Penn State Industries for 100 bucks a couple years ago and I snagged it for future projects.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

The v gouge is a tough one for me as well. Router plane blades are challenging too.

Kansas City Fireslayer said:

The v gouge is a tough one for me as well. Router plane blades are challenging too.

That's what I was going to say!!

I saw a jig on a blog for using rails on each side of stone mount blade in router plane and run on top of rails. All this time I've been sharpening the top part .....
Quote:

I saw a jig on a blog for using rails on each side of stone mount blade in router plane and run on top of rails. All this time I've been sharpening the top part .....

If I am "picturing" this correctly in my mind, doing it this way would change the "pitch" or angle of the cutting edge....making it more "parallel" with the sole of the plane and the wood.....but I could be wrong....
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Some folks have expressed a dislike for sharpening the blade for a MF cigar shave. -w