Hand made should not always infer hand tools
Or, only wood.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/1137...l-ever-see
I saw a post on another forum where someone said that since she programs her CNC machine by hand, she can call the stuff she makes as "hand made".
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
DaveParkis said:

I saw a post on another forum where someone said that since she programs her CNC machine by hand, she can call the stuff she makes as "hand made".

That matches my experience with those people. A guy I knew from 40 years ago made one-off pieces for university research. He operated the first robot I saw. Can't say it was a CNC, because I had recently run away from required punch cards and FORTRAN4.

When do you chop off the "hand" from hand made? Maybe, language is making room with bespoke, one-off, and corn flakes from tractor driving farmers.
hbmcc said:

When do you chop off the "hand" from hand made? Maybe, language is making room with bespoke, one-off, and corn flakes from tractor driving farmers.

I like the idea of hand-made meaning "your hand controls the tool at the moment."

A bandsaw could mean either way. Sawing to a line? Handmade. Using a fence? Not handmade.

Powered lathe working to a story stick? Handmade. Spring-pole lathe with a duplicator? Not handmade.

Handsawing with a jig? Depends. Half-credit? Lee-Valley's jig dovetail guide, for example, controls the angle. You are still in charge of not missing your baseline.

Ripping on a table saw? Not handmade. CNC? Not handmade. Yes, in either case you can mess up--bug in your code, fence set at the wrong dimension, but you will get consistently the same mistake. And exactly what you asked for. Just not necessarily what you meant.

In my mind, that doesn't not mean that handmade or not handmade is better. If your joints are tight, I don't particularly care how you got there. Arts and Crafts can be made absolutely wonderfully with little more than a table saw and hollow chisel mortiser.

Maybe we need a new term. I do love language manipulation. Possible Suggestion:

Home-Manufactured

Others?
DaveParkis said:

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I think you mean imply rather than "infer".

My dictionary says handmade is Made or prepared by hand rather than by machine.

Machine made is not handmade, War is not Peace, and infer is not imply.
wmickley said:

I think you mean imply rather than "infer".

My dictionary says handmade is Made or prepared by hand rather than by machine.

Machine made is not handmade, War is not Peace, and infer is not imply.

"Choose Your Words:
imply / infer
Imply and infer are opposites, like a throw and a catch. To imply is to hint at something, but to infer is to make an educated guess. The speaker does the implying, and the listener does the inferring."

One of my first edits before posting was switching to "infer". Weidman in a TED lecture said penmanship is necessary for learning. A computer, or typewriter won't work anywhere nearly as well. (Paraphrasing) I am seeing the fruit of his warning ripening. I guess taking notes in a lecture is not enough.

I think your "handmade" definition is still rough. Since a machine is required for the product, to call it handmade, I would be limited to making and forming only bread dough by following the summary, I surmise, you made.
[Sorry, couldn't resist.]
hand tool assisted
tool assisted
machine assisted

Does hand made mean absolutely no tools? Besides a snowball, probably not many other things are purely hand made.
MattRadtke said:

[blockquote]hbmcc said:

I like the idea of hand-made meaning <<< SNIIP >>>
Maybe we need a new term. I do love language manipulation. Possible Suggestion:

Home-Manufactured

Others?

[/blockquote]

I think legal departments are forcing dreadlock [sic.] by insisting we butter the gnat's butt ... even in casual conversation. Something that came to mind while reading your list was characterising a specific activity during production rather than the product. Hand (attach) [activity]. Examples: hand tool made, hand-ground, hand formed, hand drawn, hand thrown pottery. Wrong would be: handmade (unless playdough) pottery.

The post was intended to expose what I saw as a fascinating design, process, and product. To see that they were copying an early 19 century table (handmade) was astounding; a credit to the original. The difficulty, I thought, was making the video relevant to a hand tool forum. After all, they did use wood.
branchacctg said:

hand tool assisted
tool assisted
machine assisted

Does hand made mean absolutely no tools? Besides a snowball, probably not many other things are purely hand made.

We are moving the same direction. In synch.

I do think the term "handmade" is thrown around too casually. It doesn't really distinguish well made (by hand) from crappy (mass) production as we want it to mean. The hand made aura. The same shop where I saw my first robot also used the worst, most worn out, surplus tooling (hand assisted) you could imagine. The robot was a far better and more accurate tool.