8" wheel on a Tormek/Jet?
Has anyone tried using an 8" wheel on a Tormek or Jet?

I tried using the regular 10" wheel on my Jet to hollow grind for free hand sharpening but the hollow seems too shallow for me to find the proper balance point. I thought that a 8" grind might give me a more pronounced hollow and make it easier to free hand. Considering getting an 8" CBN wheel.

Any problems you might see?

Cliff
‘The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence
Charles Bukowski
I don't think that a smaller wheel will allow you to find the balance point any easier. Hollow ground is always hollow, no matter if the hollow is slight (10" wheel) or pronounced (5" wheel). It is still riding on 2 points - the most outer edges of the bevel.

The only thing that will let you "feel" the angle any better is a thicker piece of steel.
JoethePro said:

I don't think that a smaller wheel will allow you to find the balance point any easier. Hollow ground is always hollow, no matter if the hollow is slight (10" wheel) or pronounced (5" wheel). It is still riding on 2 points - the most outer edges of the bevel.

The only thing that will let you "feel" the angle any better is a thicker piece of steel.

excellent thoughts
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11