CBN Wheel
I just bit the bullet and ordered an 80 grit CBN wheel for my 8" slow speed grinder. They don't give them away, do they?

I'm hoping it will be worth the money in the long run. I'm not happy with the white wheels that came on the grinder. They seem to wear quickly and need frequent dressing to keep them anywhere near flat.

I don't use the grinder much but I don't want to have to tune-up the wheels every time I want to turn it on. Hopefully the CBN wheel will eliminate that chore.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
Waytago Mike! Ive been thinking of them also. I see they sell a set of 2 in 80 and 180 for $269. Best bang for the buck I've seen.
I'm waiting on mine too. I went with the 120.
I'll be interested in how you like them. The white ALOX wheels are supposed to wear away rather quickly. That provides a couple of benefits. It helps prevent them from loading up with metal, and it brings fresh, sharp grains to the work surface. The penalty is you have to dress them frequently. But they are far superior to the grey SiC wheels which will glaze over with metal in a heartbeat and ruin the metal you're grinding. It will be a neat trick if the CBN (which I'm guessing means Cubic Boron Nitride) wheels can hold their shape, keep cutting well w/o frequent dressing, and not glaze over. Very interested in your feedback.

John
I'll post back after I have given it a workout. It should be here Monday.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
jteneyck said:

It will be a neat trick if the CBN (which I'm guessing means Cubic Boron Nitride) wheels can hold their shape, keep cutting well w/o frequent dressing, and not glaze over. Very interested in your feedback.

John

. They never require dressing and never change shape and I've never seen them glaze over. Turners swear by them. As do I. I have a couple of white wheels and a blue I need to get rid of.

I thought cbns were only for HSS though
Wipedout said:

[blockquote]jteneyck said:

It will be a neat trick if the CBN (which I'm guessing means Cubic Boron Nitride) wheels can hold their shape, keep cutting well w/o frequent dressing, and not glaze over. Very interested in your feedback.

John

. They never require dressing and never change shape and I've never seen them glaze over. Turners swear by them. As do I. I have a couple of white wheels and a blue I need to get rid of.

I thought cbns were only for HSS though

[/blockquote]

Your post made me go get edjumicated a little bit. I found some pretty interesting info, [url=https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/97/5784/Raptor-8"-CBN-Fine-Sharpening-Wheel-with-Arbor-Bushing]here.[/url] You are right, they are for use only with hardened tool steel and carbide.

With RaptorĀ® CBN wheels, you get a superbly sharp edge and polished bevel on hardened tool steel and carbide.

Warning: Grinding non-heat treated steel such as carbon steel, aluminum and other soft metals will cause irreparable damage to the CBN wheel.

With that info., I'll stick with the white ALOX wheels since I grind both carbon and hardened steels. You might want to hang on to yours in case you need to grind some carbon steel.

John
No carbide with CBN wheels! Diamond or green grit silicon carbide.
Bob
bob.h said:

No carbide with CBN wheels! Diamond or green grit silicon carbide.
Bob

The Raptor info. said it works with carbide tooling. Just reporting; no knowledge.

John
Hi John!

Not to be a PIA, but you might take a look here--or any of the manufacturers sites:
Abrasive technology

I've been using CBN and diamond for tool and cutter grinding for over 30 years. Sure would be nice if I only had to buy one wheel, like Raptor! (I looked at the page, and sadly have to say that the Raptor
people are a bit over the top in that claim!)

Regards
Bob