Anyone have the DEROS sander?
If you have one, would you buy it again?

Pros? Cons?

It is a lot of money but after picking up the Festool Rotex and the Bosch, feeling how heavy they are, the under 3 pound DEROS seems like it would be much less fatiguing. I watched the YouTube evaluations and the DEROS was very quiet and it seemed like a winner. Of course it should for the money!!! I could get the CEROS for less money and it weighs only 1.9 pounds.

Any feedback from actual users would be appreciated.
I have the Ceroes and absolutely love it. Much better than the festool I used (although the festool was nice, this is an entirely different league).

I like handing now. Also, my 13 year old daughter can sand with it for hours and easily control it and not get hand fatigue.

No experience with the Deroes, maybe you can find a place like woodcraft that has a demo set up.
I have no knowledge of the Deros or Ceros other than many have told me they are great.

I wanted to respond to your comment about how heavy the Bosch and Festool are in comparison. I have the Bosch ROS65VC and haven't found the weight to be a problem, quite the opposite. Of course you have to pick up the machine and set it on the workpiece, but after that you just steer it and the weight of the machine does the work. Compared to my little Makita 1/4 sheet sander that I gave away, which probably weighed less than half, the Bosch is so much easier to use. I've used it for more than a hour a few times and never felt tired. You just steer it. The vibration is exceptionally low and the mass keeps it on the work, doing its work.

I would sure want to test drive the Ceros/Deros before buying one. It would have to be pretty special before I'd pay double the others.

John
I got the Deros a couple months ago and love it. Before I got it, I went to Woodcraft to try the newer Festool design. A while back somebody on this forum said he preferred the Festool switch and didn't like the paddle switch on the Deros. I find the paddle better for me personally, maybe because I don't have small hands, and it fits me well. The Festool is maybe a half-pound heavier than the Deros, but I don't think that is so significant if it comes down to a preference for one kind of switch or the other. As a bonus, the Deros container is compatible with the Festool systainers. My Deros box rides on top of my Festool track saw systainer, which, in turn, rides on my Festool vacuum.
I haven't used a Ceros. I believe Richard D has one, perhaps he will jump in?

I have used a Roex RO 150 FEQ and was not impressed, especially if you add in the outrageous price, but weight wasn't the problem, the problem was vibration. It made my hands go numb within seconds.

For some time I have had the Bosch 1250DEVS 6" dual mode sander It's 3 Ounces heavier than the festool, and I really like it. I've read people say it vibrates, I don't have a problem with it. It does take stock down really fast. If the Ceros is faster you would need to really watch it or make little dishes in everything.

I also have a slightly lighter Ridgid dual mode 6", but it isn't this model. Mine is the older one, when they were made by Meatbo. It is slower to remove stock, around the same weight, and sometimes is the perfect tool. It does have a bit of vibration, but nothing close to the Festool.

As John suggested just hefting it up is the only time you'll feel the weight. Actually for doing the work the more weight that is pressing down, I feel the less you need to bear down. That one John has is something I will look at, like I said I prefer the heavier models, and if they are bold enough to put the words "Vibration Control" in there, that has to be good, because all of them shake a bit. I guess you just need to get one that doesn't shake to distraction. I'll end with if you can demo a dual mode sander, do so. I'm sold on them, just not the green one.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Love my Ceros. It feels more comfortable than my ETS 150 (older non EC model). Other than that both models are comparable. I've tried the newer ETS EC model and the ergonomics seem to be just as good as my ceros. No experience with the Deros but reviews seems good and it allows you to change from 5" to 6" pads.
I have the Ceros. I had the option of going with the Deros but the Ceros is lighter and does a great job. Used it for an hour today without any hand fatigue or vibration problems. The dust collection is excellent (I'm sure it's the same with the Deros). I don't use the DeWalt or Bosch sanders anymore, too much vibration.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
jteneyck said:

I have no knowledge of the Deros or Ceros other than many have told me they are great.

I wanted to respond to your comment about how heavy the Bosch and Festool are in comparison. I have the Bosch ROS65VC and haven't found the weight to be a problem, quite the opposite. Of course you have to pick up the machine and set it on the workpiece, but after that you just steer it and the weight of the machine does the work. Compared to my little Makita 1/4 sheet sander that I gave away, which probably weighed less than half, the Bosch is so much easier to use. I've used it for more than a hour a few times and never felt tired. You just steer it. The vibration is exceptionally low and the mass keeps it on the work, doing its work.

I would sure want to test drive the Ceros/Deros before buying one. It would have to be pretty special before I'd pay double the others.

John

Neither Rockler and Woodcraft had a Mirka. The Bosch you referenced weighs in at 7.2 pounds, the Festool 125 Rotex is 4.4 pounds, the CEROS is 1.9 pounds and the DEROS is 2.9 pounds. I get you just guide it the Bosch and maybe if you are doing a table top that would work but at times I do a lot of smaller pieces. Maybe I just need two ROS.
I just weighed my Bosch with the 6" pad and it weighed just under 6 lbs, and that included the approx. 10' long cord. I guess it's in a league of it's own but, honestly, it's never been an issue and I'm not a big or particularly strong guy. I use it on a lot of projects where you need some finesse, too, like face frames. I never knew you could sand a face frame with a power sander and end up swirl free across the joints - until I used this sander. They come out far better than when I try to hand sand them.

The Bosch is probably not the right sander for you if weight is a key parameter. I'm just a very happy user and have found it to be an amazing machine for the money.

John
jteneyck said:

I just weighed my Bosch with the 6" pad and it weighed just under 6 lbs, and that included the approx. 10' long cord. I guess it's in a league of it's own but, honestly, it's never been an issue and I'm not a big or particularly strong guy. I use it on a lot of projects where you need some finesse, too, like face frames. I never knew you could sand a face frame with a power sander and end up swirl free across the joints - until I used this sander. They come out far better than when I try to hand sand them.

The Bosch is probably not the right sander for you if weight is a key parameter. I'm just a very happy user and have found it to be an amazing machine for the money.

John

That is interesting that Bosch has the weight at 7.2 pounds.

At times I do a lot of small pieces. Right now I am doing some boxes and was sanding 30 or so 6" x 30" boards. After lifting the Bosch at Rockler, I would think that it would get tiring to be constantly lifting and moving it.

Do you only use one hand when sanding? Once again, the feel of the Bosch made me think that it would require two hands.

Thanks, I appreciate the input.