A Looking Glass
I haven't seen too many project posts in hand tools lately, so I thought I'd share my latest. An 18th century style looking glass. This is a reproduction of an original I found online, thought to have been made in Boston around 1790-1800.

Its African mahogany, because I didn't have any Honduran that was wide enough. The crests and ears are veneer cut on the bandsaw laid up on a poplar core. All else was hand tool work. The moulding was quite challenging as its flat. I used a beading plane and several hollows and rounds.

Mirrors are tough to photograph!

In researching looking glasses, I saw that period makers often pasted their labels onto the back, so ginned one up for myself! Even used an 18th century font.

Here is the original.

Thanks for looking.
Jonathan

I only regret the tools I didn't buy!

“Think about it: Everything with a power cord eventually winds up in the trash.” John Sarge
Ooooh! Beautiful. I like how you placed the grain on a bias, making it more interesting. Neat addition of the label on the back, but why no date?
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Nice Jonathan. That's a LOT of hand work.
Thanks. Good question, I had not even thought of adding a date. I'll remedy that with a pencil.

Jonathan

I only regret the tools I didn't buy!

“Think about it: Everything with a power cord eventually winds up in the trash.” John Sarge
Sweet. Adding the date in pencil would be a good and probably realistic touch anyway. The labels would be made up undated so they could be used for a long time.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Very nice. I like the label as well, and you ufed the fancy f's.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
YOU HAVE IMPRESSED A OLD MAN
south vietnam war collage
dow said:

Very nice. I like the label as well, and you ufed the fancy f's.

Good thing the label is on the back or it'd steal the show; it had me cracking up. Nicely done.
If you're gonna be one, be a Big Red One.