With Apologies to Tablesaw Tom, Karl Holtey, Paul Sellers....
On an auction site I nabbed a small woodie, British bladed, and it looked to made of She-Oak. It's here now, and I think the wood will be gorgeous when it's cleaned and finished. It's a small guy about in the #2 to #3 size range.

The sole had a lot of edge-chips, and a pronounced hollow in front of the mouth. Fortunately the mouth's front wall is sloped such that sole-material-removal will not greatly open the aperture. Because of this, and because of the gorgeous grain, I did not want to add any replacement wood to the sole.

I epoxied/filled a few edge defects, then double-side-taped the plane, upside-down, to a wood sled. Here is where my most unique power-tool comes into play..... instead of a surface-grinder or a milling-machine, I have an Overarm Pin Router attachment on my Shopsmith "horse".

The initial truing work looks good, and was extremely satisfying to watch as I milled off a bit at a time. Looking forward to a really neat plane when I'm done:

Chris
Sellers would be proud of you for restoring an old woodie.
[Image: 19883933659_baf12312a0_z.jpg]
I look forward to seeing the final project.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
Scott W said:

I look forward to seeing the final project.

+1
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Yada yada about the woodie.........

I never knew they made a pin router attachment for the MK V

All I had ever seen was the solo tool

Read all about it

It's strange what we find interesting out of a post, ehh?
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
1st cut finally accomplished!

It was a battle to get this plane to start cutting well. The worst part was the chipbreaker which tended to spring "open at the extremes" when tightened down. I did some tapping-out on the old thing, quite a lot of trial and error, and it finally started deflecting chips instead of capturing them.

The retaining wedge appears to be non-original, and I did a lot of quick strip-sanding to identify a new wedge-angle that started to work. Even there, the 2 narrow "f0rk tines" of the wedge are a little far out to do a great job of damping, since the installed iron is a little more shy on width in the cavity than ideal.

Also the main Iron has a primary bevel at 20 degrees or maybe less, so my current grind is a longish thing with a 2ndary 30 degree bevel at the end. Probably a situation somewhat prone for chatter-levering actions. I don't want to hog off a lot more blade just yet to shorten the grind area.

Anyway, here's how it looks now! Time to take a break and think whether I should put any more time into it, or just enjoy it without taking everything to the nth degree:

P.S. Sorry for the cloudy lighting today! Also, that's a homemade Desert Ironwood adjusting hammer there with it.
Chris
You don't owe me any apologies, surface grinders don't work on wood and routers don't work on metal.

But I have always thought that the Shopsmith overarm router system looked like a great system. Just never had that amount of money I could part with.

In my opinion either one pictured would be a great addition to any shop. Maybe I will get lucky some day. I do own two Shopsmith mark 5s. Congratulations.

Tom
Steve N said:

Yada yada about the woodie.........

I never knew they made a pin router attachment for the MK V

All I had ever seen was the solo tool

Read all about it

It's strange what we find interesting out of a post, ehh?

I had a chance to buy one and didnt. Oops. Wish I had.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
The little Moulson-bladed She-Oak plane is now earning its keep . I put a couple of coats of Howards Feed -n- Wax on it, and the color is nicer. Here depicted inside the latest cabinet I'm working on for my niece:

Chris
I used the old woodie some more, working on an upper door-compartment scheme.... now test-fitting. Always nice to have handplanes for fitting pieces which in my world are never quite square.

P.S. Shoot me, I use dowel joints a lot!

Chris