Stockroom Supply V drum sander
A friend of mine is thinking of purchasing a Stockroom Supply V drum sander via Craigslist. I have seen this sander demonstrated at The Woodworking Shows and it looked nifty. Of course, the gentleman showing the machine off was the inventor and he knew what he was doing. I'm wondering if any woodnetters have used the V drum or Flatmaster sanders and what they think of it. I checked Stockroom Supply's website. My friend can buy a lightly used 18" wide with a two inch drum for less than 25% of what a new one would cost from Stockroom Supply.
If it is 10 years old the price paid was likely 1/5th of what they sell for today,so seller is selling at a profit

That said if it is 100% working, and no big wear problems, it's a no brainer. You could flip it if it turned out you didn't need it. Downside is they run on bearings set in pillow blocks. They can be expensive and they are a major wear item.

Plus the drums can deform, yada yada yada. So you need to work the machine, and make sure it works as designed. If there are 3 problems, all of a sudden the deal is gone. I've known a few guys who used them, it was about a 50/50 split if they were happy.

I always thought if I ever went down that road I'd build it. You can source the parts from them. Almost same cost, or source them from McMaster Carr, and others for less. Keep in mind much of them is either MDF or BB Ply.

Roll your own videos

Parts breakdown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tPNELBYZ9A
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Go get it. I have one and it's great for certain things like end grain cutting boards. A good tool to have in the arsenal.

Doug