The call every tool collector wants to get.
I got a call the other day from a gentleman who got my name from a friend of mine. He introduced himself & said he was told I was a collector and that he thought it may be time to sell his hand tool collection. He said that he was 91 years old & had a few nice things he had collected over time. He related a lot of important Stanley plane numbers and said they were all in good condition. I asked about the missing number 1 and he said he sold that a long time ago. He told me that he had started his collection just after he returned from the war in 1945. He had spent his life since then as a trim carpenter.
We talked quite a bit and arranged for me to visit and look at what he had. I arrived at his condo with anticipation of seeing quite a few well cared for tools. I wasn't disappointed. We talked at length & I photographed the collection. The amount he said he wanted was quite high. When we parted I told him it would be a few days till I came up with a value I was willing to pay. After valuing each tool in the photographs and having another collector do the same thing I arrived at my offer.
I made a second appointment to discuss numbers with the collector. We sat at his dining room table so I could show him photos of part of my collection and furniture I had constructed. When we got around to numbers he had reconsidered his request and lowered his amount. My collector friend & I had come up with a value that only varied by $200 from each other. I was comfortable with my offer and gave him my offer. After more discussion, I raised my offer a bit but it still wasn't a number he was willing to sell for, so I explained my valuation process & we parted friends.
I wrote him a thank you note for his time and repeated my interest & asked for reconsideration of my offer.
A few days later my phone rang & the collector was willing to sell if I would take the collection minus a Winchester hatchet, a Winchester plane and a small level.
Seeing the photo below, you'll agree those three tools didn't break the deal.
My new collector friend will be getting copies of the photo below with my thank you note next week.

Well, that should feed your addiction for a few days...

My goodness. Glad you approached that whole transaction as a conversation between new friends. Besides the money you paid him, the respect you paid him was surely worth a lot.

(I've never seen one in the flesh, but I've seen pictures) That clapboard gauge at the bottom right (just below the handle of the big gouge) isn't common here on the Left Coast, where the more common practice is to run siding to the corner/opening (door, window), then install trim over the siding. Is the device just to its right another clapboard gauge, or something else?
Wow, not a spec of rust to be seen. Nice haul!

Jonathan

I only regret the tools I didn't buy!

“Think about it: Everything with a power cord eventually winds up in the trash.” John Sarge
Yep, you suck. Congrats on your acquisition.
BontzSawWorks.net
Seventy years of accumulating and that's all he had?

I do think he had a block plane problem.

The drawknife in the middle looks interesting. Are the handles adjustable?

Well done!

Steve
Steve Friedman said:

I do think he had a block plane problem.

Doesn't look to me like block planes gave him any problem at all. They probably crawled up into his lap and purred every time he went out somewhere.

I am intrigued that a lot of his block planes are types, or from periods (the maroon one, fourth up from the bottom), that aren't seen very positively these days.
I see a few router planes we need bad but I could not afford to collect anything. Looks like you got some nice tools there.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Nice haul Rowland! As I told you over the phone....You suck! That is totally impressive. Your recent scores have been over the top. I look forward to seeing these in person. I may even apply that picture as my screen saver.

My friends and I have bought many tools from Rowland and the quality is always there and prices are very reasonable. Perhaps we'll see some of these on S&S eventually?
What type of plane is the one above the shoulder planes and below the plumb bobs?
jussi said:

What type of plane is the one above the shoulder planes and below the plumb bobs?

looks like a chamfer plane (Stanley No 72)