Added more arn to my shop...
...and it'll probably be the last piece of "big" equipment I'll buy until I can get a bigger shop.

~1920 American Woodworker No. 1 8" Bench Jointer. Found it on Craigslist. Motor runs well, though the drive pulley wobbles just a bit. I dunno if it's enough to warrant attention; hopefully it won't. It's a 3" belt drive. I'm hoping to keep it that way just for the cool factor. It's missing a hand wheel on the out feed side, but I can live with that.

I have no clue when I'll put it into service, but I'm super stoked to have it. I really want a 12" jointer, but hate my 6" jointer, so I'm happy to have this, ESPECIALLY since it's a short bed--42" overall.

I'd say I got it at a killer price--$250.
Semper fi,
Brad

That must have worked out to less than $1/lb; sure looks stout. Does the cutter head have ball bearings? I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell from the pictures. And what's that weight do hanging from the string? Looks like maybe it keeps the guard against the fence in lieu of a spring.

John
WOW THATS A MONSTER
south vietnam war collage
jteneyck said:

That must have worked out to less than $1/lb; sure looks stout. Does the cutter head have ball bearings? I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell from the pictures. And what's that weight do hanging from the string? Looks like maybe it keeps the guard against the fence in lieu of a spring.

John

Yup, the hanging weight returns the guard to its starting point. It's a neat setup; I haven't been able to study it yet. The thing is still strapped into my trailer, waiting for my buddy to come help unload it.

And yes, it has roller bearings, not babbit.

JIMB49 said:

WOW THATS A MONSTER

That it is!
Semper fi,
Brad

Congrats on a classic piece of old iron! You can probably find that handwheel over at OWWM in the Boyd section.

Doug
Tapper said:

Congrats on a classic piece of old iron! You can probably find that handwheel over at OWWM in the Boyd section.

Doug

Yeah, that's my hope. But even if I can't find one soon, it'll work without--just gotta get the blades sharpened and set, and then set the outfeed and leave it be. Knowing the light duty it'll see in my shop it'll be years before it needs to be moved for new blades.
Semper fi,
Brad

what happened to the one you spent months building?
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

JGrout said:

what happened to the one you spent months building?

It was put into storage some time back when I decided it was just easier to hand joint what little flat work I do before machine planing it.

Then this jumped out at me. I wasn't actively looking, but couldn't turn down such a gem.
Semper fi,
Brad

That's a pretty cool machine. Congrats on the score.

Doug
Really nice. I have the same one, although mine is missing the fence, the stand, original motor and the pork chop. I changed out the bearings and it runs great though. It's a heavy beast for how small it is.