Oneida customer service - or lack thereof.
I can't help but vent a little about my recent transaction with Oneida Air. I bought about $1000 worth of duct work from them for my Dust Gorilla installation. It took a couple of weeks to get to me, but I was patient, as this was near the new year and I was told that the shipment would be held up for inventory.
When it does arrive, I inventory the parts and find I'm one wye short from what is shown on the packing list, so I drop an email to Oneida just to let them know, I also mention in the email that I seemed to have a couple of extra (not ordered) pieces. I had called the company after receiving the original quote and eliminated several items that I already had on hand. At that time I asked for a revised written quote. The cost was reduced when I eliminated the unneeded parts, but I never have received a revised itemized quote.
Long story short, the install is done. It went ok, but I have a few left over pieces. I wrote to Oneida again and asked for authorization to return the parts. No reply. When I phoned and asked for return authorization, I was asked to send them a list. I did that on Tuesday and thus far have had no response.
I guess I'm mostly bugged because communication was very good before the sale and pretty much nonexistent afterwards. Particularly irksome because I'm sure I could have bought these parts cheaper elsewhere and decided to go with Oneida because I anticipated great customer service and frankly thought I might need a little hand-holding.
OK- rant over. Anyone looking for some miscellaneous dust collector ducting, keep your eye on the S&S. I have a feeling I'm going to have some available.
That is enough to pee me off too. I expect great customer service especially from a higher end company like Oneida. (I have actually had very acceptable service from Oneida although i dont have their $$$ductwork as that was too hard a pill to swallow.

I think in the end they should take care of you.

This last year i bought a $5k shaper from one of the big euro companies and it shipped with the wrong fuses installed and that ended up costing me around $200 and time and i got the run around for a month and a half. Never did get completely compensated for the cash i was out of pocket to diagnose their problem.

But that is awesome that you have really really nice ductworks!!

What are other good sources for ductwork?

Matt
Matt, a couple that come immediately to mind are Grizzly and Kenscraft on line. Most of the stuff could probably be sourced locally, although my setup has some wyes that are combination sizes (8x7x5 for instance) that would probably be difficult to find. 4" duct is very common and can be purchased about anywhere that sells woodworking equipment. The other option is to go with plastic - but that is a whole other conversation.
ed kerns said:

...The other option is to go with plastic - but that is a whole other conversation.

And make certain it's grounded
chris
Thanks for the information on Oneida. Never ordered anything from them but it's good to know. It is still amazing to me that some vendors have never learned the old axiom that "people buy from people they like" and it never changes AND they normally tell their friends one way or the other!

BTW, on grounding PVC ducting (which I have had in my shop forever) there has never been an account of static electricity causing a fire as a result of not grounding PVC dust collection ducting in recorded history. Getting "nipped" by static electricity from PVC not being grounded, another thing completely (DAMHIKT).

Doug
mdhills said:

Matt

Spiral MFG in MN is the best for Spiral as far as I'm concerned. They manufacture the stuff so go directly to the source.
I never had a single issue with Oneida when I ordered my system ; in fact the entire process was as seamless as I could of hoped for when I only spoke with CS one time on the phone the rest was all email and fax

Obviously you did not have the same result although I then to think that using paper (electronic) and not verbal communication may have played a part in the difference.

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

You may be right Joe, and I don't want to paint the whole company with the same broad brush. Just sharing my experience. On the other hand I have spoken to them by phone now 5 times.
sroxberg said:

[blockquote]mdhills said:

Matt

Spiral MFG in MN is the best for Spiral as far as I'm concerned. They manufacture the stuff so go directly to the source.

[/blockquote]

+1

I got most of mine for free when a local Fire station was tore down for a rebuild. When I moved to my new shop space I needed additional duct work and Spiral was great. (763)755-7677
Gary

Living under the radar, heading for "off the grid."