Narex chisels
What is the consensus on the Narex chisels offered by Highland Woodworking? They show two different four-chisel sets, a "Narex Chisels set of 4," and a "Narex Premium Chisels Set of 4." Thoughts? I'm looking for a decent set of chisels to get started with.

Thanks!
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
It's probable that 50% or more of the woodworkers here have at one time had a set of Narex chisels. Either started with them, or tried a few loose ones. They are nicely priced, and have ok balance, and can be sharpened to a fine cutting edge. From there is where they start to differ from a lot of the chisels sold for more $$$$$. They will require much more frequent sharpening than other better chisels. If you stop and sharpen as you need to when they start to show signs of becoming dull, it is a quick process to get them right again. However if you go too long before sharpening they will require more, and longer care to be right again. The metal while being ok, is not great, and that is the finding of the middle tier of chisel.

Buying old sometimes you can find some older chisels for much less with similar, or even better metals, however, sometimes they just look like very expensive collectibles though.

At one time the Japanese chisels at Grizzly were said to be of very good quality metals for a low price. LV has some nice Japanese chisels too. I would suggest these for lower priced chisels.

I would suggest you save a few more pennies, and give up the idea of a set, and buy individual sizes as you need them, but buy nicer chisels. I really like these Veritas PM-VII bench chisels from Lee Valley. Once ready to work, they will keep working without a lot of fuss for a much longer time, so you are chopping, rather than sharpening

You don't say what you plan to use these new chisels for. Different tasks are sometimes done better with different chisels, so if you have an idea of your need, share that, it may better form your answers.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Visit the Narex web site. Hornbeam handles, and narrower lands on edges.

Reasonably good chisels, I am satisfied withthe few I have, though I wish they were the newer style. Cheap enough to get a few more..

Roger
I used to have some Narex chisels. They were "serviceable". Nothing super fantastic, but they did the job. The steel does, as mentioned, sharpen easily. I found that the ones I owned had a tendency to roll the edge when used with a mallet. Could have been that the heat treat caused the thin part to take a poor temper. For the money, I don't think they can't be beat. Even vintage chisels that are better steel tend to cost more in eBay.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Thanks for the advice, guys.

Steve N, I'm going to be building a Nicholson style bench (from Mike Siemsen's video), and will then be learning dovetails so I can make some boxes and stuff for my wife. You're right, those Veritas chisels look great, but at $76.00+ a pop, they're WAY out of my budget.

While the recommendation that I buy chisels one at a time as I need them is sound, I've really got no idea which size I'll need when. So I think that I'll be ordering one or the other of the narex sets that I referenced above. I wonder if there's any difference in the steel between the two sets.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
dow said:

What is the consensus on the Narex chisels offered by Highland Woodworking? They show two different four-chisel sets, a "Narex Chisels set of 4," and a "Narex Premium Chisels Set of 4." Thoughts? I'm looking for a decent set of chisels to get started with.

Thanks!

Unless you want metric tools, Lee Valley carries all the Narex in Imperial dimensions. Price is nearly the same between the two stores. Highland is all metric dimensions. Consistency in dimension makes the workflow easier. A 12mm is close to 1/2" (too tight, so fuss), but a 14mm will make 1/2" mortise too loose.

I already use a mongrel combo with Japanese and Imperial but if you are starting, staying with one system is a lot easier.
The difference is the premiums have a lower side bevel height.

I have a set and I am satisified with them.
I agree they need frequent sharpening when working in hard wood but that's OK for me I can be back to work in about 90 seconds.

For the money as an entry set I dont' think you can beat them.

One day I'll break for the LN's and see the difference I'm sure.
I bought the regular Narex from Lee Valley. 4 - 1/2 inch and 2 -1/4 inch. First thing was to to remove the metal hoop, cut off the hump, and smooth the handles. Now hand friendly. Don't hit these hard with a mallet anyway. 6 chisels do most bench work, just pick up a sharpe one as needed and sharpen 6 when needed.
They were my first set of nice chisels. They worked well for me.
The handles on the premium are hornbeam without hoops.