Laminated colored wood question
I have some three inch thick laminated wood from Rutland before they burned down. I've made several items from this wood. Tree ornaments, bottle stoppers, pens, French rolling pins, etc. One problem I've encountered is the natural color (undyed) layers muddy from the dyed layers when I sand them. I want to make 12 inch platters along with some shallow bowls. I'm trying to figure out how to not muddy the natural layers in the sanding process. With the other items with parallel layers I sanded inline so it cut down the muddying of the natural layers. Any suggestion how to avoid that with circular objects?
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
I don't know if it'll work, but you could apply some shellac sanding sealer to the items before you start sanding.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
It's worth a try. I'm going to do a couple of small bowls to try it.
Jim

There is a good chance
Slow down the sanding speed and don't let the paper load up or get worn. You may be heating the dye and it bleeds across the joint.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Wild Turkey said:

Slow down the sanding speed and don't let the paper load up or get worn. You may be heating the dye and it bleeds across the joint.

+1 and new sandpaper with a light touch should eliminate the problem
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
I use Abernet when sanding dyed wood and it helps, just dont let it load up.Use a soft touch.
Well shama lamma ding dong to you too......
Is the uncolored wood really getting stained or are you actually carrying colored dust into the pores of the uncolored wood. If it's dust, a good dose of shop air could blow that dust out.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
AHill said:

I don't know if it'll work, but you could apply some shellac sanding sealer to the items before you start sanding.

That is the same way I do for Paduck and other woods that bleed into others very easily.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Will try the shop air idea too. It probably is colored dust clogging the undyed woods pores.
Jim

There is a good chance