need help with VS drive
Can anyone ID this VS drive? The data label was painted over and all the markings came off as I tried to clean it.

It came on the Vega 1553 I'm putting back to work. It appears to have been added to the machine judging from the rough cut opening for it to move along on the leg of the lathe.

How do you operate it? The pulley on the headstock is fixed so I'm assuming the belt tension adjusts the size of the pulley thus changing the speed.

Any ideas?
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
That is half of a so called reeves drive, you would need two pulleys that can open and close normally.
As one opens the other one closes so the belt doesn’t have to change in length (which it can’t)
The only way you could use just one changing pulley is with a belt tensioning arm that would be able to give or take the slack.

Looking at it again, maybe it is or could be an automatic belt tensioner, then disregard the earlier thought I had
Have fun and take care
That is spring loaded. If you move the motor closer to the headstock pulley, you would get a faster speed, further away would be slower speed.

Does the motor move/pivot?

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
woodhead said:

That is spring loaded. If you move the motor closer to the headstock pulley, you would get a faster speed, further away would be slower speed.

Does the motor move/pivot?

Al

Yes the motor can move. There is a clamp on a shaft that moves up and down.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Spring Loaded Variable Speed Pulley , LoveJoy is one brand I know of. Years ago I had picked up a Vega scroll saw that had that on the motor. Speed was changed by turning a crank that moved the motor toward or away from the solid pulley on the saws drive shaft.
I know the voices aren't real but man do they have some great ideas !

People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet
Looks like I was halfway there, hadn’t thought of moving the motor, so yes like half a reeves drive, I’ve never seen one, bet I would have understood the thing if I saw the whole setup
Have fun and take care
Pretty simple , more tension on the belt draws it down into the pulley, the sheave plates move apart making it effectively smaller. Less tension on the belt and the spring forces the plates together making belt back out and ride higher on the sheave make it effectively larger. It's simple and works for a limited range of speeds.
I know the voices aren't real but man do they have some great ideas !

People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet