Fein Vac - RIP
My 15 year old Fein vac died a quiet death the other day. I had it hooked to the sander and it just expired, quietly. I tore it apart and couldn't find anything that looked wrong - switches worked, power to the motor, etc.

I scrounged the switches and cord and gave it a decent burial. I ordered a Turbo II in the hope that it will last as long as the first one. I've been through 3 other vacuums in that period of time so I sure think I got my money's worth out of the Fein.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
Sounds like you got fein service from a fine vac.
The new Fein vacs are a new design i think. I think i heard there is no more variable speed??? I dont know for sure ..but i have had problems with one of my two older model turbo 2s and it was only not even 3 years old.

I had an old Ridgid vac last around 15 years of hard use.

If and when my Turbo II dies, I will go out and buy another one the next day.
Mike, check back with your opinion of the new design when you get. I also read somewhere they did away with the variable speed. I have the older model just for that reason (have 2 even older single speed models that still do just fine). The variable speed is really useful with an ROS. Condolences on your loss, but it did have a good life (I'm sure ).
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
My old one was single speed so I won't miss the variable speed on the new one. I think the flat top will be a plus - someplace to store the sander.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
Fred, check this article. No variable speed on the motor, but suction can be reduced by turning the orange collar on the tubing."If suction needs to be reduced—as might be necessary when sanding—a slot can be opened at the coupling to divert a portion of the air. Suction falls off as the slot is opened but will return to full when it’s closed." On the left they show the collar, and the orange ring you turn.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Interesting, though I think I like the variable speed concept better. With my single speed units I tried a homemade vent and was able to get there (for the ROS), but it was a lot noisier. I do like the new tank style a lot better tho'.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Chop up several used ones and make a FrankenVAc

Good evening, I wannna clean your house,

Makes sense it would be noisier all that additional air getting mixed in. FWIW my Turbo II has the variable speed, and it is noce. I'm sure this is one of those "cost saving measures". Will be interesting to see if they revert back?
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I have a Fein Turbo II that is a little over 10 years old. Mine is one before the variable speed and it just keeps going. Probably 5 years ago the tool activated switch went out and Fein basically told me that if I wanted that feature to buy a new vac because they didn't sell parts for my model any longer. I didn't think 5 years old at the time was so old they would stop stocking parts but oh well. I ended up buying a third party switch and was back in business. I'm sad to say it has been moved to the chop saw station since I bought a Festool vac to get the variable speed since the vac was a dedicated vac for sanders. If Fein had the VS they probably would have got my money. I don't know about the new ones but the old ones motors seem to be built to last.