Got some time with the lathe
Had a chance to do a bit of lathe work, here are a couple of my efforts. Need to work on my technique with the Turquoise inlay, among a lot of other things.
Ed
" />
" />
" />
" />
" />
How did you get the bowl to stick to the cup.

Good work on the bowl. Maybe if you use something to break it up and put all of the dust and everything in it might look better. I have never used it before though.

Arlin

PS - Looking at the stone again if you did break it up you could get rid of the white part more even though most people do not know that Turquoise has a lot of other colors in it too.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Those look sweet! Love turquoise inlay, don't like the effect it has on my tools.

From my experience with it, you want it crushed up smaller; almost to the point of being dust. I've used a hammer before & it goes all over despite my best efforts to contain it. Seen online that two pieces of black pipe, one smaller than the other, with end caps on works well; you put the stone in the larger & then use the smaller to pulverize it and the bits can't fly everywhere.

Being in AZ, you can probably just walk out the back yard and pick it up, huh?
"I'm glad being trapped in the woods hunted by an insane militia made you ask the big life questions."

Check out my Project Blog
Put it in a zip lock bag and then tap with a hammer or use a mortar and pestle.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Arlin, How did you get the bowl to stick to the cup?
With my gravity chuck, works everywhere on earth. Only problem is you have to stand the lathe on the headstock end, and as usual cut downhill.
Ruler 2112, You are right you can crush, hammer it or otherwise reduce it to dust and fill in the space between the chips. I like the look of the individual chips and have tried using black super glue to simulate the black matrix that I prefer. Turquoise is readily available in Arizona but in the past years they have developed great pride in it which is reflected in the price.
Chips Ahoy, The hammer and bag will work but I find that I get almost as good results and better control with crushing it with a large pair of channel locks inside a bag. Mostly it depends on how hard the Turquoise is and how fine you want the dust. I read somewhere about a guy that uses an old pepper mill or coffee grinder.
chips ahoy said:

Put it in a zip lock bag and then tap with a hammer or use a mortar and pestle.

Doesn't work for more than 2 or 3 hits before the bag is perforated too badly to contain anything. Don't have a mortar & pestle.

dry heat said:

Ruler 2112, You are right you can crush, hammer it or otherwise reduce it to dust and fill in the space between the chips. I like the look of the individual chips and have tried using black super glue to simulate the black matrix that I prefer. Turquoise is readily available in Arizona but in the past years they have developed great pride in it which is reflected in the price.

If you like the black webbed pattern, try a *small* amount of black toner mixed into epoxy after the epoxy has been mixed. Doesn't take much (the volume of the head of a pin) and does not appear to affect the strength after it's cured. I've had better luck putting the epoxy in the crack first & then filling & repeating as needed rather than the reverse. My guess is that the adhesive bonds to the wood & encapsulates whatever filler you use.
"I'm glad being trapped in the woods hunted by an insane militia made you ask the big life questions."

Check out my Project Blog