10" grinder speed
Hi-
I found an old Wards grinder that has a white 10" wheel. I want to set it up as a "slow speed" machine. Can folks give me some idea about how many rpm are proper for this? Thanks. -Howard
Well, common slower speed grinders such as the 8" ricon have a speed of 1750 RPM which combined with the size of the wheel equals 44,000 inches of wheel goes by per minute. If you want to duplicate that speed/rate but with a larger 10" wheel you will have to slow it down to 1400 RPM to get the same rate at the edge of the wheel.
WoodNET... the new safespace
Thank you.
-Howard
The 1750 rpm motor speed mentioned above is simply a convienient speed for a standard "plug-in" induction motor. If you look, you will find induction motors can be purchased which run at 1750 or 3400 rpm.

Depending on what you plan to grind, you may find that speed too high or too low. Using a 1750 rpm motor and a smaller motor sheave is probably the least expensive option if it gives you what you actually need. For more $ you can set up a variable speed motor/drive and end up with a potentially much more useful machine, if you need it