Help needed in sharpening a skew plane blade
I'm sure this has been covered before. I tried the search function and apparently I'm not using it properly as I didn't retrieve any correct posts.
I have an old skew rabbet plane that I would like to sharpen the blade on. I only have water stones and diamond stones and I use a Veritas MKII sharpening guide. Is there a way to use this guide to sharpen this type of blade or is there a jig I can make?
I don't think I could do an acceptable job sharpening this free hand.

Thanks
Chris
LV offers a skew guide for the Mk II.
+1 on the LV guide.
Sure you can. Just find the bevel angle and go.
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the responses.

Chris
longbarrel50 said:

I'm sure this has been covered before. I tried the search function and apparently I'm not using it properly as I didn't retrieve any correct posts.
I have an old skew rabbet plane that I would like to sharpen the blade on. I only have water stones and diamond stones and I use a Veritas MKII sharpening guide. Is there a way to use this guide to sharpen this type of blade or is there a jig I can make?
I don't think I could do an acceptable job sharpening this free hand.

Thanks
Chris

Hi Chris

I freehand mine so that is not much help. However I can show you the essence of a reliable jig.

Basically, using the Veritas Mk II, you need to set for projection and squareness. You can do both at the same time using a simple jig.

First place the skew blade in the guide and ensure that the bevel is flat to the surface. That will be the projection you want (a degree here-or-there will not matter).

Then ensure that the outer edge of the bevel is square to the guide.

What you need to end up with is a simple "L-shaped" jig like this (obviously not intended for the Veritas, and your blade will point to the lower corner, but you will get the idea) ...

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Derek,
Thanks for the response. I've tried something similar to your design. I've started sharpening on a diamond stone and hope to finish tomorrow with water stones. It will be quite cold here this weekend so I won't try it out until next week, hopefully I'll have some good action shots.

Chris