DW735 - Carbide knives or Shelix?
While a floor model planer would be nice, for various reasons, it's just not an option right now, so

I'm going to purchased a DW735X, knowing full well the DeWalt knives are not high quality. I'm going to use the 2 sets that come with it, but after I use those up I'd like to change over to either a set of carbide knives or a Shelix head.

A good set of carbide knives is about $290, the Shelix head, $410. I can afford either option. What are your thoughts on those two options?
Jason

Other than the time to install it, the Byrd head would be the clear choice for me. You may be surprised how long the HSS steel knives last, however, unless you are planing a lot of dirty or tropical wood, and they are cheap in comparison. I don't think I'd even consider carbide knives. The will cut longer than HSS before getting dull, but they don't cut as well when both are new.

John
Wouldn't be a consideration for me...chip a carbide blade badly enough and you're done with it. Chip an insert and you pull out a spare and go on.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Another plus of the Shelix is it's much quieter than a straight blade.

To me it's a no brainer. Get the Shelix
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Byrd head for sure! I put one in my 735 and have not been disappointed. if I would have knew what I do now I think I would have only used one set of blades then change the head. I always had a tough time with the screws stripping out when changing blades. This was the deciding factor to go with the Byrd.

Changing the head is quite simple as well. An afternoon of time and you should be done. Pretty straight forward with the step by step guide and pictures.
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

pm sent
I am contemplating getting this set up with the shelix head. Where are you finding the best deal on the head and on the planer?
bubba said:

I am contemplating getting this set up with the shelix head. Where are you finding the best deal on the head and on the planer?

Right now the best deal on the planer is on Amazon. The DW735X package (extra set of knives and the extension tables) for $599.99. The Shelix head is at Holbren for $410.
Jason

You're correct John. In my commercial shop we found that carbide jointer and planer knives were not cost effective. They are much more prone to chipping.
Howie.........
I've had my 735 for 3 years and have used it a lot - for a hobbiest - and recently changed the original set for the 2nd set of included HSS knives. You'll wait a long time if you plan on going threw the originals first - so if you're going to make the change, you might as well do it sooner than later.

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!