Four down, four to go ..
Just a quick update on the Lingerie Chest.

Four drawers done. They take 3 full days each to build (1 1/2 weekends). This includes thicknessing/sawing/shaping all the parts, dovetailing, and fitting.

The gaps between the drawers will be sorted out once all are done. There will be 1/16" between the drawers.

And the obligatory dovetail shot

The dovetails increase progressively, as with the size of the drawers.

Next post will be after all the drawers are done.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Looking good.
Outstanding!!!!!!!!
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Looks nice! But 3 days to build one drawer? I couldn't take it.
"If I had eight hours to cut down a tree, I'd spend six hours sharpening my axe."

My Woodworking Blog: A Riving Home
Derek,

You just might be the best dovetailer on the planet! That's going to be one very stunning piece of furniture when you're finished. Your wife must be a very patient woman!
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Of course I am the best dovetailer on the Planet, Allan. There was that chap Frank Whathisname. But he can't do them for too long, lasts just 3 minutes. I can do them for three days!

Mmmm ... something not right with that logic ..

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
JustinTyson said:

Yeah. Every drawer is a different dimension, so no production line. I can only build the parts for the succeeding drawer as the sizing is created after fitting the previous drawer.

Each drawer has a bow front, with tapered sides. Each side also has bevelled tops and bottoms to fit inside a curved cabinet. There are drawer slips, which are grooved, beaded, and then laminated with a harder wood. The dovetails are compound, that is, they are cut into boards that angle. The drawer bottom is solid wood, and to fit into the slips at the sides is rebated. To fit into the front groove, it is rebated on a curve. Did I mention that the drawer front is bowed, and this is carved from solid?

Previous post: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/B...awers.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
I see, the bow front doesn't show up on the photos above. Still seems like painfully slow progress to me, but I'm more in tune with 18th century craftsmanship than modern studio furniture. You're going to have a fine piece when you're finished, without a doubt.
"If I had eight hours to cut down a tree, I'd spend six hours sharpening my axe."

Derek Cohen said:

[blockquote]JustinTyson said:

Yeah. Every drawer is a different dimension, so no production line. I can only build the parts for the succeeding drawer as the sizing is created after fitting the previous drawer.

Each drawer has a bow front, with tapered sides. Each side also has bevelled tops and bottoms to fit inside a curved cabinet. There are drawer slips, which are grooved, beaded, and then laminated with a harder wood. The dovetails are compound, that is, they are cut into boards that angle. The drawer bottom is solid wood, and to fit into the slips at the sides is rebated. To fit into the front groove, it is rebated on a curve. Did I mention that the drawer front is bowed, and this is carved from solid?

Regards from Perth

Derek

[/blockquote]

Easy peasy. Derek is testing his sanity with this project. It's what happens when you throw away the square.

It looks great!
hbmcc said:

[blockquote]Derek Cohen said:

[blockquote]JustinTyson said:

Regards from Perth

Derek

[/blockquote]

Easy peasy. Derek is testing his sanity with this project. It's what happens when you throw away the square.

It looks great!

[/blockquote]

Ah yes, I am familiar with the out-of-square. Good luck finding a right angle on this bad boy. There are two that I know of, but I won't say where.