Anyone figger out how to graft 2 pencils together??
some one needs to send this guy a few pencels
south vietnam war collage
Take the eraser and metal band off the short ones and then crimp it back on the long one that doesn't have and eraser.

Or, you could attempt to borrow from this patent for a pencil splicer
I didn't read through the thread, but you could do a scarf joint. Might be fun. I bet you could sell the resulting pencils on etsy for $15 each
Seems to me that the long pencils with no erasers were defective to start with--they made too many mistakes. Trash 'em. The short pencils with good erasers obviously had a better operating system installed and worked perfectly!!

earl
stav said:

Or, you could attempt to borrow from this patent for a pencil splicer

now have seen it all I think at least for this day
this is a great idea you can probably buy up this patent for less than a festool domino
and go into business splicing and selling spliced pencils
set up a factory we will send you pencils [for a price ] and you splice them and sell them a win win all the way around
and it will save the environment to boot from all the short pencils that are now landfilled
sorry I can not send you any I loose them before they get to short
Cut the stupid eraser off and discard. Recycle the pencil. Cut to 3" lengths and sharpen one end of each. Use as golf pencils. You never make a mistake with your score card, so they should work the same on your shop plans. It's all the eraser's fault anyway, subliminally encouraging you to make mistakes.

JIMB49 said:

some one needs to send this guy a few pencels

With all the money he saved on the Unisaw, he can buy his own.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Phydeaux said:

I hear if you suspend them in water they'll sprout roots then you can plant your own pencil tree.

Or was that avocados?

Here ya go!

A friend of mine in Florida grows these. Our growing season is too short here.
I'm a great believer in luck. The harder I work, the more of it I seem to have.
As usual Lee Valley has the answer. You have to act fast, though, because it looks like the Veritas Plugger may be going away soon. The dowels that come with The Plugger are cedar pencil blanks, bored on center for a graphite lead.

Carefully remove pencil leads from a few of your stubbies. (Save the wood for kindling or some other good use.)

Push in enough reclaimed pieces of graphite to fill the pencil blank with a little glue and voila! New pencil.

You might be able to get the 10-dowel replacement package for $4 plus shipping. Looks like they only have a few left, so if you wait for free shipping, they’ll likely be gone. But a small price to pay for using stuff up.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.as...&cat=1,180,42240,53317
I seen a guy who had glues up a hundred pencils or maybe more and then he turned them.

Looked pretty neat when it was done. So I have been buying a box of 20 every month to try doing black with red and blue mixed in.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.