Weekend Project
While Derek is down in Oz building one drawer for three days, I knocked this thing out in 2 days last weekend

Well, 2 1/2 days. I started on Friday after work and finished up on Sunday afternoon. It's based on a ca. 1720 tavern table from Charleston, SC. You can see the original in the eighth picture of the slideshow here.. All hand tools, 'cept the lathe and a thickness planer.

I don't have molding planes, so I had to make a scratch stock for this detail.

Chamfers and lamb's tongues

All the mortise and tenons are drawbored.

I even had time to add a little bling to the drawer bottom.

First coat of milk paint.
"If I had eight hours to cut down a tree, I'd spend six hours sharpening my axe."

My Woodworking Blog: A Riving Home
I am amazed! It would have taken me 3 days just to carve the drawer bottom. Great work!
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
It would have taken me three days just to get off the couch and get into the shop.

Very nice piece. Be very proud!
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm"
                                                                                                                        Winston Churchill
I gotta say this. The right front leg is .003 inches larger than the left front.

I've never seen a carving in the drawer bottom before. Very nice surprise.

Just need an old grog to go with it.
WoodTinker
joemac said:

It would have taken me three days just to get off the couch and get into the shop.

Joe, thanks for that! I needed a laugh this afternoon.

Justin - very nice, but we've come to expect that from you. The drawer bottom is terrific, but I tend to look at the parts that I may be able to learn from - I am NEVER going to be able to carve like that! Loved your drawbore blog post. I know you've only been at the blog for a few months, but I have learned so much from it. Keep them coming.

Thanks

Steve
WoodTinker said:

I gotta say this. The right front leg is .003 inches larger than the left front.

I've never seen a carving in the drawer bottom before. Very nice surprise.

Just need an old grog to go with it.

The legs turnings improved from the first to the last, but they're all pretty dang similar. I'm sure you'd find more than .003" of differences if you brought out the calipers. I had cut out a 5th leg in case I needed it, but I ended up using the first 4.

The drawer bottom was just kind of a fun little rabbithole. I've admired Peter Follansbee's carving for years, but never had the time to practice it. This is my first attempt, and I figured I would rather have it hidden than front-and-center. But still a nice little surprise for anyone who opens the drawer.

"If I had eight hours to cut down a tree, I'd spend six hours sharpening my axe."

Nice piece of work! I'm with Steve - I'll never learn to carve that well.

Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Neato!
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
The drawer bottom is truly the frosting on the cake. Beautiful!
Thanks everyone! Steve and Curt, don't sell yourselves short on the carving - this is my first time doing any kind of relief carving, and I have to say, it was painstaking but didn't require much skill. Lots of errors and room for improvement, but the nature of this style of carving is to overwhelm the viewer with detail so they don't notice your mistakes right away

Steve, thanks especially for the kind words about the blog. It's been more work than I expected, but I'm having fun with it and I'm glad you're enjoying it!