What finish to use
My sister gave me a pair of cypress chairs for Christman. I have these on the covered back porch but I want to put some type of finish on the to preserve them. I would like to darken them up a bit with some type of stain but then I would have to coat with poly or something.

What finish would you suggest that would darken a bit but also give some protection?

Thanks
You can't get more protection than a top grade spar varnish. That would surely amber up over time. And yes you can stain under that if you wanted.
jasfrank said:

You can't get more protection than a top grade spar varnish. That would surely amber up over time. And yes you can stain under that if you wanted.

I agree. The OP should note that the spar varnish is formulated for outdoor use. It allows for more expansion and contraction due to the temperature changes, and it has additional UV protection.

For outdoor use this is superior to regular poly.

However regular poly offers a harder surface and it is preferred for indoor use.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
A spar varnish that has urethane resins in it is going to fail very quickly, they just don't do well outdoors. You want a "real" spar varnish (that's not anything at a box store). True marine spar varnishes are what you want if you stay with an oil based finish. I would normally recommend you consider untinted oil based paint also, but the oil based paints are getting very hard to find. There are some waterborne finishes to consider as well that would be good, there will be a few other members along with specific recommendation for them...my point is to avoid anything "poly".
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Spar varnishes are not crated equal. A good one like Epifanes will last about 7 years with minor maintenance. They are quite expensive and a PITA to use. The good ones have UV inhibitors and will not yellow noticeably nor darken the wood much at all. The BORG "Spar Varnish" will last ~3 years at best and is a waste of money.

The best finishes for this are GF 450 and SW A100. The 450 is clearer and a bit more durable. Both are water borne and easy to use. You can add transtint to either to darken the wood. Test before committing. They will last ~9 years with minor maintenance.

Basically the top end waterborne exterior finishes have rendered Spar Varnish obsolete, even in marine applications.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
deep tint exterior oil based paint. Do not add tint and it will dry clear. Gives the protection of paint, the look of a clear coat and will last yrs. None of this recoating every two yrs. or so. I have been using Sherwin Williams deep tint the last few yrs., mainly because I have a SW store in my small town, and it works really well. I have had no complaints from customers and folks like the look and not having to refinish plus the protection paint offers without the paint look. Remember it dries clear. The first time the SW manager thought I was nuts, what do you mean no tint, now he recommends it to several others or so he says.
+1 on exterior oil base with no tint added.

Put this on a south facing mahogany door 5 years ago, and it still looks great. Previously used the $50/quart marine varnish and there is no comparison.

Paint COMPLETELY outperforms the varnish. It goes on milky, dries clear. Lasts as long as, well, a good coat of paint.

Edit to add it dries with an amber hue....
West Marine has an excellent reputation in the boat building trade. They carry spar varnish. And yes, it is very expensive.

http://www.westmarine.com/?cm_mmc=PS-_-G...CFQ1ahgodH3kP1Q
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
If that exterior paint is of interest to you, more info here.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Fred, I think no one believes us about the exterior paint....but bears repeating:

DRIES CLEAR, less expensive, easier to apply (2-3 coats vs. many more), lasts longer, looks as good and easier to maintain.