Working with Chechen
Was at my local wood supplier looking for exotic scraps to build some picture frames and found a really gorgeous piece of Chechen.

I'd never heard of it before...anyone here worked with it?
Gary

Living under the radar, heading for "off the grid."

i have used it for several boxes - sorry don't have any pic. it is very dense - stays true and is one of the best finishing woods i've used - polishes up beautifully.
jerry
jcousins said:

i have used it for several boxes - sorry don't have any pic. it is very dense - stays true and is one of the best finishing woods i've used - polishes up beautifully.
jerry

What finish do you apply?
Gary

for small pieces typically use padded on shellac - probably 6 - 8 coats - and then top coat of black bison wax.
jerry
that's the only wood where I've had a serious allergic reaction to.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

It's also called black poisonwood because of its toxic sap, which turns black and causes a reaction similar to poison ivy. They are in the same family. The wood and dust don't usually cause the bad reaction, but they could in those who are particularly sensitive. I have a friend who can't eat cashews because of irritation. The cashew tree is also in the same family as poison ivy.
reactions are so interesting - i have not had any from chechen - but after doing 1 large piece with makore i now cannot make a single cut without my sinuses closing up.
jerry
I did do a little research regarding Chechen and I've been wearing a half face respirator during the milling and sanding process.

I've been known to roll around in poison ivy and not react to it......mosquitoes don't like me either
Gary

jcousins said:

reactions are so interesting -

Yes.
I get poison ivy just looking at it. I tried lacewood once which apparently (I now know) is related to poison ivy. Never again.
I've also used chechen before but never had any reaction. Shrug.